Telemetry Data that Patch My PC Collects when Using the Publisher
Patch My PC will collect basic telemetry data when our Publisher software is used to improve our products and services.
This article will describe in detail the specific data collected by Patch My PC and, more importantly, the reason we collect it.
- The Number of Times the Catalog is Downloaded
- The Version Number of the Publisher Software
- Are Preview Updates Enabled
- Is ConfigMgr Application Creation Enabled
- Is Intune Application Creation Enabled
- The Error Description if an Update or Application Publishing Fails
- The Configuration Manager Site Version
- The WSUS Build Number
- The WSUS Database Type
- WSUS Updates Cleanup Information
- WSUS Maintenance Configuration
- The Number of Products Enabled and Published
- How Data is Transferred
- Disclaimer and More Information
The Number of Times the Catalog is Downloaded
Each time the catalog is download via an HTTPS request, we will increment the number of times it was downloaded. The data type for this is an integer. We will also report the next scheduled sync time as a DateTime.
The Version Number of the Publisher Software
The currently installed version of the Publisher is reported as a string value.
Are Preview and Self-Updates Updates Enabled
The preview update status within the Publisher will be reported using a boolean type. The self-update status will be reported as a boolean.
Is ConfigMgr Application Creation Enabled
The Publisher will report if the checkbox to enable the creation of ConfigMgr apps is enabled as a boolean.
Is Intune Application Creation Enabled
The Publisher will report if the checkbox to enable the creation of Intune apps is enabled as a boolean.
The Error Description if an Update or Application Publishing Fails
The Publisher will report the specific error returned if an update or application fails to create. This applies to the Updates, ConfigMgr Apps, Intune Apps, and Intune Updates tab. The error description is a string value.
Error description reporting can be disabled with the following registry value:
- REG ADD “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Patch My PC Publishing Service” /v DisableErrorReporting /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
The Configuration Manager Site Version
The Publisher will report back the Configuration Manager site version if the SMSProvider is defined as a string value.
The WSUS Build Number
The Publisher will report back the WSUS build number as a string value.
The WSUS Database Type
The Publisher will report back the type of WSUS Database, whether WID or SQL.
WSUS Updates Cleanup Information
The Publisher will perform some WSUS cleanup during a sync. The number of updates, size of the updates, and folder count cleaned up are reported back as integer values.
WSUS Maintenance Configuration
The Publisher will report back the current WSUS Maintenance configuration from the respective tab in Configuration Manager, which includes the following:
- Decline expired updates in WSUS According to supersedence rules
- Add non-clustered indexes to the WSUS database
- Remove obsolete updates from the WSUS database
The Number of Products Enabled and Published
The Publisher will report the specific number of products enabled within each of the following tabs: Updates, ConfigMgr Apps, Intune Apps, and Intune Updates as an integer. The publisher will also report the number of updates, applications, and CVE’s published as an integer.
How Data is Transferred
The data listed above would be transported and encrypted using TLS 1.2.