• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

After update, 1Password 8.10.36 desktop app won't open on some computers

Started by Khen8, July 18, 2024, 08:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khen8

Hi all,

Fairly new to deploying apps and updates with PMPC via Intune to our 'production' users (i.e. not fellow IT guinea pigs) so this is the first time I've had an update problem to investigate. We use the system-wide MSI installer of 1Password and the latest release has made the desktop app fail to open on some but not all managed systems - all systems are W11 23H2.

I reached out to 1password support and they are asking for logs from the Intune Management Agent and\or PMPC (full response is pasted below) because they indicate that most affected users are also using PMPC.

Attached is the ScriptRunner log with installs other than 1password cleared out. I didn't find any references to 1password in the other log files listed here https://docs.patchmypc.com/get-help/log-reference-guide so I'm not sure if that would be helpful to include, or just be noise for 1password support to sift through.

The PatchMyPC-ScriptRunner log shows essentially the same output for the last 2 updates (my system is was last wiped 6/25 so not much historical data), except the latest has exit code of 3010 instead of 0. I understand this  means a reboot is needed to finalize the install \ upgrade, but indicates success. The computers affected have been rebooted multiple times since - most had the update installed on 7/11. At least one computer where 1Password 8.10.36 was updated and still working normally has also been rebooted a few times since.

Emails to and from 1password support:

First response from 1pass:
QuoteI understand you're encountering an issue with 1Password opening following an update. You may be running into an issue our team is currently investigating.
To confirm whether that's the case or help us determine what the issue may be, I'd like to ask you to generate some trace logs when you attempt to open 1Password. Here are the steps:
1.   Make sure no 1Password processes are running (check Task Manager for any background processes and let me know if you see any).
2.   Open up Command Prompt and run the following: start 1password --log trace
3.   The command prompt window should generate some logs. Copy and paste those logs in to Notepad, then save and attach those logs to your reply here.

My result and reply
QuoteHi Ali,

I ran both as my normal non-admin user and as a local admin and the output was the same, attached. I've pasted it here, too, since it so short.

C:\Users\KMH001>start 1password --log trace

C:\Users\KMH001>
[0716/134553.253:ERROR:icu_util.cc(223)] Invalid file descriptor to ICU data received.

C:\Users\KMH001>

1password:
QuoteThanks for getting back to us. Based on the log error you're seeing, it does look like you're running into an issue our team is currently investigating.
When that error occurs, the 1Password directory has been found to be missing two files: v8_context_snapshot.bin and icudtl.dat. At the moment, a reinstall has been the suggested method to resolve the issue.
We're currently investigating what the root cause for the issue may be. Our initial suspicion is that 1Password is not being terminated prior to updating and we've been asking affected users to try automatically closing 1Password prior to deploying updates, however one affected user has reported that this did not help.
Most of the users reporting this issue also mentioned using PatchMyPC so that may be a factor. Are there any installation logs from Intune/PatchMyPC that you could provide? That may provide us with some additional insight as we continue to investigate.

Replied to them just now with the same PatchMyPC-ScriptRunner file as attached. I have enabled verbose logging in for this deployment going forward, but I think we're out of luck otherwise on this on the existing installs. Is there anything else I should look for in troubleshooting this update while I wait on 1Password's support?

Cheers

Kent

Chris@PatchMyPC

Quote from: Khen8 on July 18, 2024, 08:20:34 AM1password:
QuoteOur initial suspicion is that 1Password is not being terminated prior to updating and we've been asking affected users to try automatically closing 1Password prior to deploying updates, however one affected user has reported that this did not help.

Hey Kent, I sent you an email regarding this.
But this is likely the answer:
https://patchmypc.com/manage-conflicting-processes-when-updating-third-party-applications

Keep us posted.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hello
 Sorry for the late response. As the user mentioned you need to ensure MCP is set to terminate the product 1 Password before it runs an update. You can read on what application need this https://patchmypc.com/manage-conflicting-processes-when-updating-third-party-applications#topic2.

In this case since it maybe broken you likely need to install as an application versus an update to get back functioning. Sorry you had this issue

Khen8

Hi Justin and Chris,

I replied to Chris's email since it had more detail about the logs I had attached there. It looks like we have MCP on already, but maybe 1Password's latest installer didn't take kindly to being force-closed?

Thank you
Kent