• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Significant Delays in CMG Update deployment package

Started by tj2940, May 22, 2024, 06:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tj2940

We are encountering a persistent issue with content distribution to our Cloud Management Gateway (CMG) using SCCM version 5.00.9122.1018, and we are seeking advice from the community to see if anyone else has experienced similar problems or has potential solutions.

Issue Details:

PatchMyPc: About 150 software titles which we checked for updates.

ADR Process: Every night, an ADR runs to add new updates to the deployment package. Binary differential replication is turned on.

Local Distribution Points: The distribution to local distribution points is working efficiently, with new packages deployed within about 10 minutes.

CMG Distribution Delay: The distribution of the deployment package to the CMG, however, takes around 5 hours to complete. The package is about 90GB. It appears that the CMG removes the complete blob and starts creating all the updates in the deployment package from scratch each time, instead of incrementally updating the content.

Impact: Because almost all of our clients are remote and using CMG this delay is significantly affecting our ability to deliver timely updates. In Software Center the update fails (Content not found) or the download stays at 0% until the distribution of the package to CMG is done...

Raunak Desai (Patch My PC)

Hey !

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Review the Distribution Manager (Distmgr.log) and CloudMgr.log files for any errors or warnings related to CMG content distribution. These logs might provide further clues about the cause of the delay.

I would also like you to review this article :https://patchmypc.com/third-party-update-considerations-with-cloud-management-gateway-cmg-in-sccm

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Raunak

Liviu (Patch My PC)

Hey TJ2940,

In addition to my colleague's reply, I would recommend checking a few other things:

1. Check if your CMG is being rate-limited.
2. One fact to take into account is the internet speed, depending on the region.
3. Consider splitting the deployment package up. To avoid this issue from happening, I would create multiple ADRs, for instance:
  • One ADR with all PMPC browser updates (chrome, firefox, edge, etc)
  • One ADR with all JRE and JDK updates
  • One ADR with all the remaining updates

This is only an example, you can group the updates in any way you like.
We have a guide that talks about how to include or exclude updates in your ADR, you can find it here.

Finally, if the situation doesn't improve, I recommend reaching out to Microsoft and have them check if there are other issues in your environment that might reduce content distribution performance.