• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Error subscribing to PatchMyPC catalog using SCCM 1806 third party updates

Started by swhitcher, August 06, 2018, 09:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swhitcher

I've been looking forward to SCCM 1806, so that I could use the new Third Party Updates feature instead of SCUP to import the PatchMyPC catalog. I was able to add the custom catalog successfully, but when I try to subscribe to the catalog I'm getting an error. 
QuoteUnable to create the subscription.  The console failed to download "PatchMyPC Updates" from "CATALOG URL" because of error code 193.  For more information, see SMSAdminUI logfile.
The log file referred to in the error message only contains one line related to the subscription attempt, which is not at all helpful:
Quote[84, PID:5328][08/06/2018 10:38:37] :error in downloading

As a test, I pasted the catalog URL into Internet Explorer, and successfully downloaded PatchmyPC.cab, so the URL seems to be correct.

Does anyone here know what the error code '193' represents? 

What could be causing this to fail?

Edit: I just found the new guide you posted for this.  I decided to add the trial catalog, as the video demonstrated.  After adding the trial catalog, I was able to subscribe to it successfully.  I imported my patchmypc catalog URL in SCUP (my previous SCUP db was lost, so when I launched SCUP it was a fresh instance with no catalogs configured.), and it successfully imported the catalog contents. So, again, this would seem to confirm that the URL is valid, as I was able to import it in SCUP.  It's only SCCM that fails to download / subscribe to the catalog. 

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hello,

For the ConfigMgr Console publishing to work, your subscription needs to be on the Enterprise subscription level. This requirement is primarily due to complexity for an updated catalog format requiring more details with code-signing certificates on our end of things. Please see this KB that offers more details of why the SCCM in-console publishing cost more than the Basic / 1$ PC option https://patchmypc.com/error-code-193-subscribing-to-microsoft-sccm-third-party-update-catalog.

What's the Difference Between the Basic, Enterprise, and Enterprise Plus Subscription? - https://patchmypc.com/faq-scup-catalog#subscription-comparisons

Thanks

Justin

swhitcher

Ahh, I didn't realize that subscription was required for using SCCM's Third Party Updates feature, I thought that was just for your auto-publishing service.  That would explain the failure!  I will continue using SCUP for the time being then.  Perhaps if/when a future version of SCCM improves on the feature and eliminates a step or two from the process, I'll revisit the issue.

Thanks for the fast reply!
Steve

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Sounds good! Don't forget you could always start with our publishing tool and always switch over to SCCM when it's more full-featured with regards to publishing with full-content.