• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Apps Sometimes Don't Replace Previous Version

Started by will.locke, September 25, 2023, 12:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will.locke

As subject says, sometimes a selected application (application creation, not update), doesn't update the previous application and instead creates a new application.  The most recent example is Google Chrome.  It has been updating the same application in SCCM from somewhere around version 70.x, which is now 115.0.5790.110 which is referenced by task sequences and has required deployments.  But now there is a 117.0.5938.92 application also.  So for some reason PMPC didn't update the existing application (115.x) to 117.x (more likely to 116.x or whatever version came after 115.0.5790.110).  Since it created a new application, we have to go through all of our task sequences and update references and create deployments using the new application and remove deployments from the old one.

Is there any known reason why this occurs and how we can prevent it or know when it happens so we can take action.  Right now, I have to tell my team to just monitor the folder periodically to see if PMPC creates a new application instead of updating the existing one.

Raunak Desai (Patch My PC)

Hey Will,

Hope you are keeping well.

Sorry to hear you are having issues here.

I will check internally to see if there was some known error. I will share you a response as soon as I get an update .

Regards,
Raunak

will.locke

This isn't the first time we've seen this and it isn't a one-time occurrence.  It is something I've noticed happens from time-to-time with some applications.  Another example was that we had Adobe Acrobat Reader selected as like one of the first applications we selected.  It started off at version 20.x and upgraded the existing application.  But at some point, it created a new one (I think somewhere in the middle of 21.x) and started updating that one.  Again later, it created another new one (somewhere in the 22.x versions) and started updating that one.  Each time this happens we have to update our deployments to the new version and update all task sequences that reference the old application.

Hey Will !

Apologies for the delayed response.

If you want the app to update the existing one whenever there is a new version available, then you can enable this option on a global level or at an individual application level.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Raunak

will.locke

That is the whole point of the post and if you read my post above it should be apparent... I already have that setting set and most of the time it _does_ update the existing application.  However, I have specific examples where, even with the setting set, it creates a new application instead of updating the existing one.

Hey Will,

Can you please share the application name you have observed that does not update the existing application and creates a new one every time?

Also, please share the screenshot while right-clicking on the app and selecting "Manage update and retention".

Regards,
Raunak

will.locke

I'm sorry, but it is obvious you didn't read the post completely.  First, I stated an example application in my original post.  Second, I didn't say that it happens every time.  I said that it happens sometimes.  So with the Chrome example, as I explained in my original post, it was replacing the application with each version as expected, but the version after 115.0.5790.110 instead of replacing that version of the application it created a new one.  The new one then received updates (again, as per the setting in PMPC).  But our deployments and task sequence references still point at the old version because it created a new application instead of replacing the existing one.

Hey Will,

Apologies for that. I mis-understood the concern.

Let me check with my team internally, and I would also suggest you create a support case, so that other engineer have visibility and also share their insights : https://patchmypc.com/technical-support

Regards,
Raunak

Hey Alice,

I understand your concern.

Can you please use this link to schedule a 30 minutes call with me so we can discuss this in details and get it sorted for you:https://calendly.com/pmpc-raunak/30-minute-support-session

Regards,
Raunak