• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Stuck on downloading and installing windows 10 update

Started by srothkin, October 11, 2015, 09:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srothkin

I run patchmypc on a weekly schedule with command line /auto /update (I set it up manually because the schedule tab in the program doesn't allow choosing the exact day and time of the week -- I've scheduled specifically for 5:26am on Sundays).

Two weeks in a row now I've seen it stuck for several hours on the downloading and installing windows updates step as shown on the attached picture (showing it stuck for over 4.5 hours for 1 update).

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

you can change the date in task scheduler. Are you able to manually install Windows updates?

srothkin

I can manually install windows 10 updates, but only through the metro interface windows update (not through the desktop one).

srothkin

Last week I set the Include Windows Update option on the Schedule tab to No, clicked save, and then went to Windows Task Scheduler and adjusted the day/time of week to what I wanted.

This week again it is hanging on Windows Update (the Cancel Updater button/link doesn't work) with a list of 25 updates shown. I ran Windows Update manually and checked for updates and it found only 2.

srothkin

srothkin

After about half an hour, the manual Windows Update I started timed out and gave error 0x800705b4 installing the updates. I rebooted and tried again and all were installed successfully.

I suspect that something about the way PatchMyPC is invoking the windows updater on Windows 10 is causing it to hang until reboot. I really need a WORKING way to make PatchMyPC NOT invoke Windows update (I've already got it scheduled for automatic updates through Windows so it is redundant for PatchMyPC to invoke it anyway).

srothkin

Windows update is now working fine on its own. But PatchMyPC is still running Windows update in the schedule despite my having set it to NOT include windows update. And it still looks like its then getting stuck at Downloading and Installing Windows update. I deleted the schedule and had PatchMyPC recreate it but still the same result.

srothkin

On some systems this happens AFTER installing patches (again, even though run windows update is deselected).

Where do you have it set to not include windows update in the schedule tab or options tab

Quote from: srothkin on November 29, 2015, 07:39:01 AM
Windows update is now working fine on its own. But PatchMyPC is still running Windows update in the schedule despite my having set it to NOT include windows update. And it still looks like its then getting stuck at Downloading and Installing Windows update. I deleted the schedule and had PatchMyPC recreate it but still the same result.

srothkin

Both - on Options tab "Disable initial windows update scan" is checked and "Run windows update check after performing any update operations" is unchecked.

On the schedule tab (when I created the schedule) I selected "No" for "Include Windows update"

There should be a log file on the root of C:\ with the name of your computer can you attach this?

Quote from: srothkin on November 30, 2015, 08:52:20 AM
Both - on Options tab "Disable initial windows update scan" is checked and "Run windows update check after performing any update operations" is unchecked.

On the schedule tab (when I created the schedule) I selected "No" for "Include Windows update"

srothkin

I had to re-enable the log file and wait for the next schedule. After updating programs it was stuck contacting windows update server for almost 2.5 hours before I closed PatchMyPC (you can see this in the new screen shots). The log file did not show this (I had to rename it to .txt because the forum doesn't accept RTF).

srothkin

Here's the stuck screen shot (the forum's being a real pain in the neck with file sizes).

srothkin

And the options settings...