• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Vista crashes on Perform Updates

Started by robwolfe, April 03, 2012, 10:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robwolfe

When I try PatchmyPC on a Vista machine it crashes. Screen shots and text attached.

Robert

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Can you expand the details in the error?

robwolfe

The computer is using Vista. When I clicked on Perform Updates I get the error message as shown in error1.jpg. I copied the rest of the message and put it in error.txt. If I click on Continue I get error2.jpg.

Robert

On error 1 message box there is a details button can you expand that and screen shot the beginning?

MBB

I got the same error on 2 Vista machines. On the first one the error message was in Dutch (native), on the second it was in English (native) I have not yet tried other machines yet.
Both machines have Framework 3.5 sp1 and 4
Error message:
-----------

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Patchmypc.PMPC.Checkold()
   at Patchmypc.PMPC.Button1_Click_1(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4216 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PatchMyPC
    Assembly Version: 2.1.0.1
    Win32 Version: 2.1.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Guus/Documents/PatchMyPC.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4220 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4214 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This should be resolved in version 2.1.0.2 that's now available.

Thanks for reporting this!

Justin

MBB

Sorry for not answering back, i've been away from the internet during Easter.

Yes, it were both 32bit machines. And re-reading the title, either I or the OP made a mistake; it is not Vista that crashed, only PatchMyPC.

Thanks for your quick fix and response. I'll try to run them tomorrow on Vista.

Underwhile I've run your program on an XP machine, and it worked fine. Did have some trouble with multitasking due to it's low memory (500 MB RAM), but no more then normal Windows updates, so it looks like your program is a keeper.

However it did come with a Hidden Windows Update (Browser choise for European region) and a Google Toolbar (CCleaner) I'll have to be carefull which programs I select on silent mode and which I run with disabled silent mode.
Is there perhaps a way to create different register keys by renaming the program?

Yeah, I try to usually get CCleaner Slim, but they don't release the Slim version (Without Toolbar) until a few days after the normal release.

I will fix this so it only uses the slim version this afternoon.

Justin

MBB

Thanks, I guess that is the neatest solution.
I thought your program was some sort of macro that worked it's way through the options of the CCleaner installer, but I now realise you probaly just have it execute the CCleaner installer in it's own silent mode.
So it's not something you need to leave on deliberately because of CCleaner's licensing isues but a question of finding the right installer. The speed with which you fix things is really amazing. (really, it can wait till the next regular update
It's just something your users need to be keep in mind when using the auto-install programs with toolbars - if you have this problem with other programs without a slim mode, perhaps you could put a warning notification in the selection menu?

Alternatively, perhaps the post by MHz on this article I encountered could be of some use to you?
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/128216-ccleaner-306-google-toolbarchrome/

Much thanks again. :-)

MBB

Just tested on the (dutch) Vista 32, and it works smootly.
No toolbar with CCleaner either.

Did have a weird Issue with Adobe Reader 10.1.2, but I think that is a bug on their side. 
It forced the explorer.exe (the GUI process, not the program) to be closed before continueing to install. But after i did that it installled allright.

Hmm not sure about the explorer.exe needing to be closed I know Patch My PC wouldn't close it must have been something weird with the Reader update. CCleaner installs will use the slim version from now on this version won't include the toolbar, but usually Piriform waits a few days after the regular release to release the slim build.

Justin