• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Visual Studio Code not launching after upgrade - reg key getting left behind?

Started by BugsBunny, October 12, 2023, 01:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BugsBunny

I've had a report from a few users that after Visual Studio Code upgraded from v1.82.3 to 1.83.0, the application would no longer launch from the Start menu or the task bar. We found a registry key at HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\code.exe that appears designed to prevent the application from launching during the upgrade (we have this option set in the PMPC console).

My guess is that the upgrade process is designed to remove this reg key after the upgrade completes. Once we manually delete that registry key, the application launches fine.

I wasn't able to replicate the issue in testing. So far it's been reported only by Windows 11 users, and only 3 users so far.

Mostly wanted to mention it here for visibility. Will update this thread with additional info if the issue becomes more widely reported. 

Spencer (Patch My PC)

Hey Bugs,

Thanks for reaching out to support!

I would recommend checking the conflicting processes options on that application/update to ensure you don't have the option to "prevent the user from starting the process during installation" selected as that is what is causing these issues.

More information on that option and how to remove that registry key can be found here:

How to remove the registry value: https://patchmypc.com/manage-conflicting-processes-when-updating-third-party-applications#:~:text=by%20another%20process.-,Update%20in%20progress%E2%80%A6,-When%20the%20option

Overall information on MCP options: https://patchmypc.com/manage-conflicting-processes-when-updating-third-party-applications

BugsBunny

Thanks for the recommendation of deselecting the "Prevent the end-user from opening an application while the application is updating" checkbox.

Since my original post, I've received reports from a few additional users having the same issue as I described in my original post, but for different applications. So I'm going to check that setting for those apps, as well.

I'm a bit confused, though, about when we should/should not enable/disable that particular setting, especially after discovering that enabling the setting can cause problematic behavior. Any guidance from PMPC regarding best practices for setting/not setting that particular setting?

Spencer (Patch My PC)

If multiple products are configured with that setting, then I would check at the top level (All Products) to verify if MCP is enabled there. If so, check to see if "Prevent Start" is enabled and disable it from there.

As for the use of that "Feature", I wouldn't enable it unless you notice a product trying to relaunch itself when the processes are closed. Some VPN clients do this to maintain their client connections. So, to ensure that the process doesn't restart, you can enable that feature.

Otherwise, I wouldn't even touch it as it does tend to cause issues if the PatchMyPC-ScriptRunner.exe process exits unexpectedly or times out and doesn't have enough time to delete that key after the update.