• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Google Chrome stuck on version: 116.0.5845.188

Started by Aleksander, September 18, 2023, 08:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksander

Hi,

Most of the devices (all enrolled into Intune with PMPC) are stuck on version Google Chrome 116.0.5845.188, and not update to the latest.
Has anyone noticed the same?

Regards,

cameronkollwitz

Yup, seeing mass failures with Google Chrome and the update. I had to manually recreate the application last week to get it working again, and now it seems to be doing it again.

Priscilla (Patch My PC)

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. To help us do further troubleshooting, please send the following logs from a few client devices where the update is failing to [email protected]:

%ProgramData%\PatchMyPCIntuneLogs\PatchMyPC-ScriptRunner.log
This may be found in the %ProgramData%\PatchMyPC\ if the Install was initiated by the user from Company Portal.
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPCIntuneLogs\PatchMyPC-SoftwareDetectionScript.log
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPCIntuneLogs\PatchMyPC-SoftwareUpdateDetectionScript.log
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Logs\AgentExecutor.log
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Logs\IntuneManagementExtension.log
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPC\PatchMyPC-UserNotification.log
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPC\UISettings\UINotificationSettings.xml
Note: Some Patch My PC log files listed above may be found in %WinDir%\CCM folder if that folder exists.

Please also include the MSI logs for Chrome. They should be in the following path on the client: %ProgramData%\PatchMyPCInstallLogs

Aleksander

Quote from: cameronkollwitz on September 18, 2023, 03:44:32 PMYup, seeing mass failures with Google Chrome and the update. I had to manually recreate the application last week to get it working again, and now it seems to be doing it again.

How do you just stop sending google chrome, remove all packages from intune, and start distributing again?

Daniel

We are experiencing the same issue within our environment, most of our devices are showing that the update is "not applicable" to them even though they running old versions

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hello,

We have a few reports of this issue now. We are trying to determine the exact cause. We have been unable to replicate the issue internally as well. If anyone is able to, please send over logs to support, specifically, we are looking for the verbose MSI logs (if they are enabled), the log from "C:\Windows\Temp\chrome_installer.log", as well as the PatchMyPC-Scriptrunner.log.

This issue seems sporadic, and we have been unable to tie it to a specific version of Chrome.

mnoah

Same issue here and already have an open ticket with Support. Some versions are stuck at 109!

Aleksander

I distributed again Google Chrome and Ms Edge, i see that Ms Edge properly update on devices, but still google chrome stuck.

Aleksander

We observer that new version Google Chrome 117.0.5938.92 (x64) is also not replacing old one.

Aleksander

Quote from: Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC) on September 19, 2023, 03:42:26 PMHello,

We have a few reports of this issue now. We are trying to determine the exact cause. We have been unable to replicate the issue internally as well. If anyone is able to, please send over logs to support, specifically, we are looking for the verbose MSI logs (if they are enabled), the log from "C:\Windows\Temp\chrome_installer.log", as well as the PatchMyPC-Scriptrunner.log.

This issue seems sporadic, and we have been unable to tie it to a specific version of Chrome.

Check mail; support[]patchmypc.com

Aleksander

Quote from: Priscilla (Patch My PC) on September 18, 2023, 05:31:38 PMHello,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. To help us do further troubleshooting, please send the following logs from a few client devices where the update is failing to [email protected]:

%ProgramData%\PatchMyPCIntuneLogs\PatchMyPC-ScriptRunner.log
This may be found in the %ProgramData%\PatchMyPC\ if the Install was initiated by the user from Company Portal.
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPCIntuneLogs\PatchMyPC-SoftwareDetectionScript.log
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPCIntuneLogs\PatchMyPC-SoftwareUpdateDetectionScript.log
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Logs\AgentExecutor.log
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Logs\IntuneManagementExtension.log
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPC\PatchMyPC-UserNotification.log
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPC\UISettings\UINotificationSettings.xml
Note: Some Patch My PC log files listed above may be found in %WinDir%\CCM folder if that folder exists.

Please also include the MSI logs for Chrome. They should be in the following path on the client: %ProgramData%\PatchMyPCInstallLogs
Check mail; support[]patchmypc.com

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hello everyone,

We have no root cause for this issue at this time. What we believe to be happening is that when the Google Chrome Update tries to install, AV blocks the file copy, and the install bombs out partway through. This leaves the old Chrome binaries on the device, and the device is left without Google Chrome in Add/Remove Programs.The common thread that we have found between most of the devices that have had the issue is the following log line in the chrome_installer.log which can be found in C:\Windows\Temp
Quote[0912/180519.266:ERROR:move_tree_work_item.cc(90)] failed move C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Temp\source5400_1011282578\Chrome-bin\116.0.5845.188 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\116.0.5845.188: Access is denied. (0x5)
After the access denied error, the Chrome installer MAY return with a 1603, but not always. Regardless, the fix has been the same for all customers, reinstall Chrome with the Intune or ConfigMgr App. Afterwards, things should continue working. Sometimes, customers have had to turn AV off for the reinstall to even work, this makes the AV hypothesis a bit stronger. I believe all of the customers that have faced this issue were running Defender.

If you do encounter this issue, please open a support case with Patch My PC, and include the following logs:
C:\Windows\Temp\chrome_installer.log
C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\PatchMyPC-Scriptrunner.log (if exists)
C:\ProgramData\PatchMyPCIntuneLogs\PatchMyPC-Scriptrunner.log (if exists)_
C:\windows\ccm\logs\PatchMyPCInstallLogs\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise64.msi.log (if exists)
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPCInstallLogs\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise64.msi.log (if exists)

Aleksander

Do
Quote from: Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC) on September 22, 2023, 04:03:03 PMHello everyone,

We have no root cause for this issue at this time. What we believe to be happening is that when the Google Chrome Update tries to install, AV blocks the file copy, and the install bombs out partway through. This leaves the old Chrome binaries on the device, and the device is left without Google Chrome in Add/Remove Programs.The common thread that we have found between most of the devices that have had the issue is the following log line in the chrome_installer.log which can be found in C:\Windows\Temp
Quote[0912/180519.266:ERROR:move_tree_work_item.cc(90)] failed move C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Temp\source5400_1011282578\Chrome-bin\116.0.5845.188 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\116.0.5845.188: Access is denied. (0x5)
After the access denied error, the Chrome installer MAY return with a 1603, but not always. Regardless, the fix has been the same for all customers, reinstall Chrome with the Intune or ConfigMgr App. Afterwards, things should continue working. Sometimes, customers have had to turn AV off for the reinstall to even work, this makes the AV hypothesis a bit stronger. I believe all of the customers that have faced this issue were running Defender.

If you do encounter this issue, please open a support case with Patch My PC, and include the following logs:
C:\Windows\Temp\chrome_installer.log
C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\PatchMyPC-Scriptrunner.log (if exists)
C:\ProgramData\PatchMyPCIntuneLogs\PatchMyPC-Scriptrunner.log (if exists)_
C:\windows\ccm\logs\PatchMyPCInstallLogs\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise64.msi.log (if exists)
%ProgramData%\PatchMyPCInstallLogs\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise64.msi.log (if exists)

Do I read it correctly? The script is trying to move old Chrome-bin\116.0.5845.188 to patchApplication\116.0.5845.188. So same old versions? what is a purpose? why all others apps are ok then?