• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

PMP 2.1.22 - Icons in the product treeview?

Started by PS_Alex, April 22, 2024, 07:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PS_Alex

Hello!

I took notice of the addition of icons in the product treeview now indicate if the product requires local content, or is configured to skip the install if running by default -- which is great!

Quick question: does this new change only add icons when these ability are determined as required by Patch My PC, or should they also appear when we enable "Manage Conflicting Process"? (Behind the scene, I suspect the Publisher only display the MCP icon for apps/updates having a McpDefaultEnabled element in supportedproducts.xml, and would not use a BlockingProcessManagementPolicy element from Settings.xml as another source for displaying the icon.)

Reading the McpDefaultEnabled element in supportedproducts.xml, I find there is useful information about why PMP recommends/enabled MCP by default for a specific app/update -- for example, for Jaspersoft Studio (EXE-x64): <McpDefaultEnabled>Returns Exit Code 1, update will fail if application is open during update process.</McpDefaultEnabled>. Is that information displayed textually somewhere in the Publisher Console?

Thanks! :)

Ben Whitmore (Patch My PC)

Hey PS_Alex,

Thanks for sharing the love of the new iconography :)

We will only add icons for apps that are tested by us that should be closed during an update. When you enable MCP for an app that we deem it not required by default, we will not add an icon beside the entry. The entry in supportedproducts.xml is used to populate a table on our website at https://patchmypc.com/known-issues-and-considerations-when-using-patch-my-pc#topic2 to give the reason why we recommend that app is shutdown during the update process - typically because during our testing it fails if the user has the app open.

Thanks for the feedback, hope that answers your question :)

PS_Alex

Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciated! (And totally understand why the icon would only show based on your tests.)