• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Issues with Chrome/Firefox/Zoom installations

Started by strugglinghippo, February 21, 2024, 07:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strugglinghippo

Hey Community

As we onboarded several devices to Microsoft Defender, we saw that multiple devices in our environment are reporting old versions of Google Chrome, Firefox and Zoom.
I took a deeper look into it and thats what I find out:
- On a client with an old Chrome version, the Software Update Deployment from PatchmyPc marks the client as "Compliant". The Deployment for Google Chrome is "not required"
- When I checked on the client, the Software "Google Chrome" which has been deployed by PatchMyPc is marked as "Available" in Software Center
- The EXE is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

My first thought was that Google Chrome was already distributed before PatchmyPC went live and the implementation was not done cleanly. But then I thought that PatchMyPc should still recognize the software if the EXE is present, or am I wrong?
What I also find strange is that the application does not appear under "Add/Remove Programs". But a portable installation would not write an EXE to the program files in my opinion.

Any idea whats the best way to fix this issue? I thought about creating a Collection with a query to detect the EXE under C:\Program Files with a version lower than 121 and then create a "Required" Deployment from the Application created by PatchMyPC on this collection, but I am not sure if this is the way to fix it.

Any help is appreciated!
StrugglingHippo

strugglinghippo

I now checked the same steps for Zoom and it seems that it only affects installations in the Roaming Folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin\zoom.exe) and not installations with administrative privilges (in C:\Program Files\...). Is there a way to get this kind of installations updated from PMP as well?

Wes Mitchell

Hello There, We will need collect some information.  Please submit a support case from:https://patchmypc.com/technical-support

I also include the following logs from a couple of your devices: https://patchmypc.com/collecting-log-files-for-patch-my-pc-support#update-troubleshooting-client-logs

Plus these logs as well from your publisher:
%PatchMyPCInstallDirectory%\PatchMyPC.log
%PatchMyPCInstallDirectory%\PatchMyPC*.lo_
%PatchMyPCInstallDirectory%\Settings.xml
%PatchMyPCInstallDirectory%\PatchMyPC-DownloadHistory.csv
%PatchMyPCInstallDirectory%\PatchMyPC-PublishingHistory.csv