• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Converting Firefox user-based installs to system installs

Started by Rich, July 09, 2024, 12:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Hello,

I was in the process of converting some user-based Firefox installs, that were completed by end-users, to system installs and noticed by default the Application deployment keeps both the user-based appdata install and installs the "Program Files" install as well.

My first thought was having a pre-script search and run helper.exe /S before installing but was curious if there was built-in functionality that I am missing to complete this without my extra work.

Thanks,

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hello
 Basically, you need a pre-script to parse through each user profile and remove the files, reg keys, etc. because running a user-based uninstall will only work for the currently logged-on user.
We provide the ability to call a script however you will need to create this prescript to do that cleanup. Hope that helps and answers your question.

Rich

Thanks! That was my plan, but thought perhaps there was a built-in method that I could utilize and I just wasn't seeing it.

Much appreciated.

Dan Gough

There are a few ways to go about this - some of these examples can be made easier by using PSAppDeployToolkit / PSADT.

- Run the uninstall as the logged in user - if you're in System account context, this can be launched in as the user by leveraging Scheduled Tasks. PSADT has an Execute-ProcessAsUser function to make this easy. If the uninstall process needs admin rights though, users may get a UAC prompt unless you have a privilege management system in place to auto-elevate certain processes.

- Set up a Run key or Active Setup to run the uninstall per user. Can be used in conjunction with the above to cater for users not logged on during deployment. PSADT has a function Set-ActiveSetup that can be used to set this up, and it will also automatically trigger it to run as the logged in user much like the above.

- Surgical mop-up of files/reg for every user - for this you will need to know every file, folder, shortcut and reg key that needs to be removed. PowerShell's Remove-Item accepts wildcards (e.g. Remove-Item -Path 'C: \Users\*\AppData\Local\AppName' -Recurse -Force). Registry is harder is it required mounting each user registry hive - again PSADT can help here with the Invoke-HKCURegistrySettingsForAllUsers function.

Rich

Awesome. Thank you for your input. I was not aware of the HKCU function in PSADT. Looks like I should read their reference document. :)