• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Patch My PC unable to Publish after In Place Server OS Upgrade

Started by MichaelBishop, September 13, 2023, 12:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelBishop

We performed an OS Upgrade from 2012 R2 to 2019 on our WSUS Server a couple weeks ago.  There were issues with WSUS after the upgrade that we started to troubleshoot on our own, but we had to open a case with Microsoft for a resolution.  During our troubleshooting, we ran the "WsusUtil.exe movecontent E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\ -skipcopy" to update the WSUSContent location but now the SUSDB & Registry do not appear to line up the IIS Content location.

SUSDB: E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\WSUSContent\
Registry: E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\
IIS Content: E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\
WSUSContent Share: E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\
UpdateServicesPackages Share: E:\WSUS\UpdateServicesPackages\

After the OS Upgrade and after review the logs, we thought WSUS was publishing correctly and let it Patch My PC publish updates for a couple weeks but after further research, we determined we're getting the following error:

The publishing failed with error: CreateDirectory failed (timestamping was enabled). We will attempt to publish the update again with timestamping disabled.

CreateDirectory failed. ErrorCode:-2147467259 NativeErrorCode:1130 HResult:-2147467259 MethodName:CreateDirectory. This error appears to be a known error. Please see our KB article https://patchmypc.com/an-error-occurred-while-publishing-an-update-to-wsus-createdirectory-failed for the resolution.

After doing some research and reviewing this article, we believe the settings should be the following:

SUSDB: E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\
Registry: E:\WSUS\
IIS Content: E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\
WSUSContent Share: E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\
UpdateServicesPackages Share: E:\WSUS\UpdateServicesPackages\

We have third party update content in both the E:\WSUS\WSUSContent and E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\WSUSContent directories.  We are little worried about running the WsusUtil.exe again and overwriting the original E:\WSUS\WSUSContent directory (and potentially another WSUS Scan Storm).

After doing some research, we believe we need to run WsusUtil.exe again with the following command: "WsusUtil.exe movecontent E:\WSUS\ -skipcopy" and then manually copy the content from E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\WSUSContent\ to the E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\ to ensure that we don't overwrite the original E:\WSUS\WSUSContent\ directory.  We would like to verify these steps before proceeding.  We appreciate any assistance.  Thank you.

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hi Michael,

Your proposed solution looks correct, it also should not cause another scan storm as all you are doing is modifying the content location.

This is a super common issue faced after an in-place server upgrade. The other thing you will want to look out form after things start working again is: https://patchmypc.com/duplicate-patch-my-pc-category-listed-in-software-update-point-products-tab