• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Java 8 update 66?

Started by swhitcher, January 06, 2016, 04:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swhitcher

Someone pointed out to me today that Java 8 update 66 has been available for download since early November, but we're running v8.55.  Looking in SCUP, it appears that PMPC hasn't put out an update for 8.66.  Was that an oversight, or is there a reason it was left out?

Thanks!

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

This is because Java 8 Update 66 is a PSU release: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/cpu-psu-explained-2331472.html. Based on oracles article they typically only recommend installing these if you are affected by a bug.

Quote from: swhitcher on January 06, 2016, 04:28:13 PM
Someone pointed out to me today that Java 8 update 66 has been available for download since early November, but we're running v8.55.  Looking in SCUP, it appears that PMPC hasn't put out an update for 8.66.  Was that an oversight, or is there a reason it was left out?

Thanks!

swhitcher

Thank you, that explains things somewhat.  It does seem odd to me though that a release which is recommended only in select cases is being recommended by Java.com.  I also found this link which identifies which versions are PSU/CPU, along with the release timing.  Based on that, it looks like this is the first time a PSU release has been released to Java.com.  That would explain why I haven't seen this version discrepancy previously.

Perhaps if a PSU version is released to Java.com, it should be added to the catalog, but marked as optional in some way?  Or at least not expiring the current CPU release at the time?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

We are planning to get this added in tomorrow's catalog release since it seems some customers would like to get this PSU based release deployed.

Quote from: swhitcher on January 07, 2016, 02:10:47 PM
Thank you, that explains things somewhat.  It does seem odd to me though that a release which is recommended only in select cases is being recommended by Java.com.  I also found this link which identifies which versions are PSU/CPU, along with the release timing.  Based on that, it looks like this is the first time a PSU release has been released to Java.com.  That would explain why I haven't seen this version discrepancy previously.

Perhaps if a PSU version is released to Java.com, it should be added to the catalog, but marked as optional in some way?  Or at least not expiring the current CPU release at the time?