• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Tableau Reader 2024.2.544 - not removing previous 2024.X versions

Started by jjurgens, July 31, 2024, 02:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjurgens

Hello,

The 2024 updates do not appear to be removing the previous minor versions and now there are 2024.X versions, side-by-side on devices.  We can replicate this as well.  While I understand that PMPC does not update major versions (i.e. 2023 to 2024), it was my understanding minor versions would get removed when updated.  I do not see anything specific to this on the Known Issues and Considerations page like there is for "R for Windows", for example. What is the expected behavior of minor version updates?

Additionally, it looks like there is a specific install property, "REMOVEINSTALLEDAPP" to remove previous versions and I'm not seeing that being used with the PMPC update.  Is there a reason this is not included?

As always, thanks!

https://help.tableau.com/current/desktopdeploy/en-us/desktop_deploy_cli_ref.htm#installer-options

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hello,

Tableau Desktop has separate tracks for each subversion so we only patch within the subversion (i.e. 2024.1, 2024.2). We utilize the REMOVEINSTALLEDAPP=1 in the "Latest" version which removes all previous versions.

Generally for other apps, we update within the Major version, but Tableau is odd in that their "tracks" are major.minor version.

This page has some info on what to expect: https://help.tableau.com/current/desktopdeploy/en-us/desktop_deploy_upgrade.htm#install-a-release-version-upgrade-on-the-same-computer

jjurgens

Hi,

I'm referring to Reader, not Desktop.  Attached is what I'm seeing the PMPC Publisher console for the Reader install switches.  While PMPC is installing an updated subversion, it is not removing the previous, older subversions in our environment.  We are able to replicate this in our test environment as well.  If I'm understanding you correctly, it should be removing the previous, older subversions, but it is not.  Do you have any insight as to why?

Thanks.

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

It seems you are correct. For Tableau Reader our intent is to follow a yearly release. We'll check this out and make some updates on our end. We likely won't use the built-in removal option, as it would likely remove previous major versions as well, however, you may add that additional command-line via the right-click options if you would like while we work on a solution.

Casey (Patch My PC)

Hey jjurgens!

Quick update: we've added a new application to our catalog called "Tableau Reader latest" now. This one will include the REMOVEINSTALLEDAPP=1 flag to ensure previous versions are removed.

jjurgens