• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Visibility to Revised Apps and Updates

Started by winstons, June 19, 2024, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winstons

How do I get better visibility to revisions that PMPC staff make to an update/app after its initial publication in the PMPC catalog?  I'm assuming that most revisions are to installable/installed rules or pre-install scripts and such but that is based on the couple of revisions I actually reported needed to be done and then I saw the app/update noted as revised in the Publishing Report. I want to know the details of the revisions when I haven't reported a problem. 

As an example, I'm trying to determine why some recent Ultraedit updates have not properly updated the registry and have left behind the old version settings in the Uninstall keys. I've contacted the publisher and their first question was whether we had installed MSI's over a prior EXE install and vice versa. We've been using the PMPC patch process for over a year so if that happened it would have been due to an error in the PMPC configuration for the app/update installable rules.  Having more details about revisions would allow me to investigate this further.

If there currently is no public record of what a revision contains, I'd suggest that PMPC record this information somewhere on the website and link to it from the Publishing Report. Currently the app name column is clickable for each app/update and it takes you to the vendors change log/release notes page. The revised apps could also be clickable and take you to the PMPC change log page for that revision.

Raunak Desai (Patch My PC)

Hey Winstons,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please allow me some time to check this internally with the app team and will share an update.

Regards,
Raunak

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hello,

Generally, when we make a revision to an update, we post the revision on the release notes for that day. For example, here's a release where we made a revision to dbeaver: https://patchmypc.com/patch-my-pc-catalog-update-06-10-24

Revisions can also occur if right-click options for updates are changed.

winstons

I just subscribed to the Catalog Release Newsletter on https://patchmypc.com/category/catalog-updates so hopefully that meets my needs. To simulate some research on a revision I just used the search bar for DBeaver but there were 14 pages of results and they are not sorted by most recent. Search results really should be sorted. If I add 2024 to the search it increases the results to 29 pages.   :(

I'll pass that info on to the web team. I've found adding the version number to the search is extremely helpful when looking for specific changes as well.

winstons

The catalog updates pages don't appear to always list app revisions.  For example on catalog update sample you provided, DBeaver was updated due to a hash change (https://patchmypc.com/patch-my-pc-catalog-update-06-10-24).

On 6/21 IntelliJ IDEA Community and Ultimate both had updates and our publisher consumed those updates that evening (~21:30 CST). When our publisher sync ran again on 6/22 the publishing report listed both those apps as being revised.

Applications Revised    Time
IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition Latest 241.18034.62 (EXE-x64)    6/22/2024 9:03:03 PM
IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate Edition 2024 241.18034.62 (EXE-x64)    6/22/2024 9:02:23 PM

On the catalog updates https://patchmypc.com/patch-my-pc-catalog-update-06-24-24, there is no mention of IntelliJ and what was updated (and there was no catalog update for 22nd and 23rd.  We are very aggressive in our environment (speed of updates after publisher syncs) so this lack of transparency is concerning.

Hello, we only had a single catalog release on the 21st and did not make any revisions to the applications listed.

Please feel free to send in your PatchMyPC.log to support, and mention Andrew, and I can look at the log and see why those applications were revised.