• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Required update and app configurations

Started by Diana, March 20, 2024, 03:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diana

Hi all,
This is about the fact that we can only set updates as required, and I could read the reason here: https://patchmypc.com/forum/index.php?topic=4189.0.

However, the developers in my company have raised some concerns about the configurations of their applications (mostly their IDEs, IntelliJ, Pycharm, Eclipse, Visual Studio...) being changed/removed after the updates; it happened in the past where the FortiClient configuration would be erased after an update pushed by Intune. It was not with PatchMyPC, but the incident made us more wary of the updates.

So I have two questions:
- Did you have some similar cases where an update modified/erased the user's configuration?
- If not, could you see a possibility of it happening in the future? (i.e., if you have any idea to what I should check during my testing).

Thank you!

Hugo Marinho (Patch My PC)

Hey Diana,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this topic.

You can find more info on "Intune Apps" vs "Intune Updates" on the link below:
https://patchmypc.com/intune-apps-vs-intune-updates

However my colleague Ben Reader, explained it quite well in that thread you linked.

As for your questions:
- We don't have any major reports in that regard from clients;
- Each IDE usually uses its own way of saving the settings, so we cannot 100% guarantee that it won't change them, as a suggestion, we recommend you 1st only release the update in a small pilot group and validate if any settings have been changed prior to rolling out the updates to everyone;

Hope to have helped, have a great day!

Diana

- Each IDE usually uses its own way of saving the settings, so we cannot 100% guarantee that it won't change them, as a suggestion, we recommend you 1st only release the update in a small pilot group and validate if any settings have been changed prior to rolling out the updates to everyone;

Indeed... It does seem to be the best way, thank you for your advice!
Enjoy your day!