• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Uninstall Supported apps

Started by PaulB, January 25, 2024, 04:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulB

Is there any easy way (or maybe this is an enhancement request!) to uninstall/replace applications?
As an example, we have an application, say Notepad++ that we have deployed in Intune via Company Portal for users to self install.  This is the x64 version.  We are using PatchMyPC to update this.
However some users with permission, have installed the x86 version of the app.  What we would like an easy way to do, is to tag a supported app in PatchMyPC to be uninstalled, and replaced by a different version, so the x86 version would be removed, and the x64 installed.
In addition, the functionality to uninstall an application, if we don't support it within the business.  I believe we could potentially do this manually using an application update to upgrade users to the latest version, and then an uninstall on the application itself to remove it from users.  But if there was an easy option to do this then that would be great.

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hello,

I wouldn't say there is an "easy" way to do this today. For your example, you can deploy the 32-bit version of Notepad++ as an uninstall, and the 64-bit version as an install, and it should get your desired results (however the 32-bit version of notepad++ would have to be the latest version for the uninstall to be initiated). Alternatively, you could add a prescript to the installer for Notepad++ 64-bit to uninstall the 32-bit. We have a great prescript that you can use here

We also have an enhancement request like this here: https://ideas.patchmypc.com/ideas/PATCHMYPC-I-2506 this is a complicated request, but we have some ideas on how to implement it, and hope to do so in the future.

PaulB

So is there any way to use the prescript for an Update?  I can see how that would work for an app deployment, especially if a mandatory app.  But as your app deployment logic is only allowing the update to run if the specific version is installed, i'd can't see that providing a solution as if I could run the pre-script on the Notepad++ 32-bit update to uninstall that version, it then wouldn't be getting the 64-bit install pushed from anywhere.

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to use this for an update, as the update would have to be applicable to the product already installed on the device.