• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Manage Installation Logging - Reverts to default location if unchecked

Started by PS_Alex, August 23, 2023, 04:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PS_Alex

Hello!

I think I found an issue in the Publisher Settings console (version: 2.1.16.0). After I set a custom location to create logs on "All Products", if I disable log management on a specific update then re-enable log management on it, the Folder path for that update has reverted to Patch My PC's default location.

Steps to replicate:
  • Under the Updates tab, right-click on "All Products", and select "Manage installation logging". In 'Folder Path', type a custom location (i.e. 'C:\MyLogs');
  • Scroll down on a specific product (i.e. "Adobe Acrobat DC Continuous (x64)"). Right-click on it, select "Manage installation logging", and uncheck 'Enable logging'. Click 'OK';
  • On "Adobe Acrobat DC Continuous (x64)", right-click on it, select "Manage installation logging", and check 'Enable logging'. Observe that 'Folder path' is now filled with 'C:\windows\ccm\logs\PatchMyPCInstallLogs'.

Expected behavior: since I have selected a custom logging location on "All Products", I would have expected that when re-enabling log management the 'Folder path' to be filled with my globally-configured custom folder path.

Strangely, the other settings seem to persist when disabling then re-enabling log management:
  • Under the Updates tab, right-click on "All Products", and select "Manage installation logging". Check 'Enable verbose logging', 'Prefix the log with computername', 'In case of installation failure...' and set a secondary location;
  • Scroll down to "Adobe Acrobat DC Continuous (x64)". Right-click on it, select "Manage installation logging", and uncheck 'Enable logging'. Click 'OK'.
  • On "Adobe Acrobat DC Continuous (x64)", right-click on it, select "Manage installation logging", and check 'Enable logging'. Observe that all the settings are still enabled;
  • Still on "Adobe Acrobat DC Continuous (x64)", uncheck 'Prefix the log with computername', then uncheck 'Enable logging'. Click 'OK';
  • On "Adobe Acrobat DC Continuous (x64)", right-click on it, select "Manage installation logging", and check 'Enable logging'. Observe that 'Prefix the log with the computer name' is unchecked.
Though if you uncheck 'In case of installation failure...', the secondary location is emptied, and checking the option again would not fill it with the globally-configured secondary location.

Priscilla (Patch My PC)

Hi PS_Alex,

Thanks for reaching out. I have reached out to our developers about this. I will respond back with more information as soon as it's available. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks

PS_Alex

No problem, thanks Priscilla!

We are contemplating activating this setting globally, so while we are not currently affected by this situation, we will be in the future. No rush though. :)

Priscilla (Patch My PC)

Hi PS_Alex,

We just released a preview build with fixes to this bug: https://docs.patchmypc.com/release-history/production-releases/preview-releases#2.1.16.54-2023-08-29. To enable preview builds, you just need to go to the "About" tab of the Patch My PC Publisher and tick the checkbox "Install preview builds" and then click on "Upgrade now".

Let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist.

Thanks!