• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Printer Installer Client 25.0.0.935

Started by Madd, August 15, 2023, 01:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd

I've been trying to get to the bottom of why Intune keeps detecting installed version as 25.0.0.935 when the actual installed client is anything else but that.

I had a look at the PMPC detection script and found that it is hardcoded to return $true if the GUID extracted from the Uninstall key matches the one in the script, I looked at 2 versions prior to 25.0.0.935 and confirmed that they all have the same GUID.

I have tested my theory by saving the script and commenting out the below and reuploading the script.
if ($f) {
 l $g $true "$($s.a) $m"
 return $o
}
So far it appears to be installing correctly with the modified script.

Hopefully this is actually the issue, and I haven't misunderstood the detection script.

Ben Whitmore (Patch My PC)

Hi Madd,

The Intune detection script for the Printer Installer Client will return "Detected" if we find a newer version of that app installed on a device. We are not looking for a GUID specifically but DisplayName and DisplayVersion (see script below if with easier formatting to read)

Are you saying the Intune Detection Script is showing the app as detected on devices that have a lower version installed than 25.0.0.935?

Madd

Hi Ben,

Yes the script is reporting "Detected" for versions other than 25.0.0.935.

Further down in the script there is the below which is returning Detected as the GUID matched

Ben Whitmore (Patch My PC)

ah ok, gotcha, my mistake here, its an MSI - sorry for the oversight, need more coffee! Let me do a quick test and come back to this thread with my findings. Thanks Madd

Liviu (Patch My PC)

hey Madd,

Replying to this while Ben is out of the office.

At the moment, due to limitations in our detection scripts, any software with the same product code for each version cannot be used for updating the software, as it's going to be detected as installed.

We are working on updating the detection script template to account for such software as well, and look beyond the product code and check the DisplayVersion as well.

We are offering such software as an Intune App for customers that would like to install on devices which don't have it installed at all.

If you'd like to use it for updates, you would have to manually edit the detection rule and set it to check the product code AND the version instead of using our script.
This will have to be done manually every time there is a new version, unfortunately.

As I mentioned earlier, we are working on improving our detection scripts. If you'd like to be notified this will be complete, please upvote this idea on our UserVoice.

Madd

Thanks for getting back to me, I have upvoted the idea on UserVoice