• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Teamviewer 15.42.9 & WinSCP 6.1.1 - issues with the packages creating temp files

Started by vbate, June 23, 2023, 11:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbate

Morning,

Have a couple issues with the latest releases of these 2 products. I can see in their logs that they are both trying to create temporary .exe's in C:\Windows\Temp. By default in our Org we do not allow that (Applocker rules). The weirdest thing is the previous installs of these products used their own directory (not the System Temp directory). Is their anything I can do to force these apps to not use the Temp folder?. Does the %CurrentDir% variable do anything for me if I modify the commandline, or is it just the vendor has changed their package and I'm out of luck?

thanks,
Vern

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hello,

We don't do anything special regarding those installers, so you may be out of luck. I would try to install them manually using the SYSTEM account and see if you notice the same behavior.

vbate

Andrew,

Ya just tried using the System account - it fails. But if I run with elevated it works fine.

thanks

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Ok, so it seems like that is how the installer functions when running as the SYSTEM account unfortunately.

I also checked if you can overwrite the temp folder path for MSIs, and it looks like that isn't allowed either...
QuoteAuthors should not need to set the TempFolder property. Windows Installer uses the GetTempPath function to retrieve the path of the directory designated for temporary files and to set this property.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/tempfolder