• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Teams machine-wide installer vs user installs

Started by Atreus21, May 02, 2024, 11:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atreus21

Hi folks,

Awhile back I was informed in the post below that Zoom machine-wide installers incorporate all user-based installs  so that patching will work normally.

https://patchmypc.com/forum/index.php?topic=7151.msg17460#msg17460

I wanted to know if the same mechanism is in play for Teams.  We have an awful lot of user-based installs for Teams and wanted to know if deploying the machine-wide installer would fix that.

JustAnotherUser

No. It won't. Not yet, anyway. You need to build an app that searches for the machine wide installer, uninstalls it, then clears out the app folders for all users %appdata%/local/microsoft/teams, then installs new teams. I know you said that you have mostly user installs, the easy way to nuke them is just nuking those folders. I can share some code if you'd like, I used PSADT.

Note that you will need to coincide this with changing your enterprise tenant default to new teams.

You CAN coexist them and then change default and then remove as well, just know that once the new flavor is there all the old flavors will stop updating and sit there vulnerable forever---well, assuming you change your default.

DanERM

Quote from: JustAnotherUser on May 02, 2024, 12:32:15 PMNo. It won't. Not yet, anyway. You need to build an app that searches for the machine wide installer, uninstalls it, then clears out the app folders for all users %appdata%/local/microsoft/teams, then installs new teams. I know you said that you have mostly user installs, the easy way to nuke them is just nuking those folders. I can share some code if you'd like, I used PSADT.

Note that you will need to coincide this with changing your enterprise tenant default to new teams.

You CAN coexist them and then change default and then remove as well, just know that once the new flavor is there all the old flavors will stop updating and sit there vulnerable forever---well, assuming you change your default.

Hello, I'd be interested in seeing that code if you're still willing to share. Thanks