• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Articulate - How do people install this with PMPC?

Started by PaulKlerkx, April 22, 2024, 12:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulKlerkx

Hi,
Prior to PMPC, we used a Powershell script to install the 5 components of Articulate 360, but I notice they come as 5 different applications in PMPC. How do people deploy this with PMPC normally?
Do Users have to do the 5 individual installs or is there another method? 
Like is there a way to group applications to deploy together for example or set articulate 360 as the main app with all the others as dependencies?

Scott (Patch My PC)

Hi Paul

I'm unsure whether you are using ConfigMgr or Intune, but both platforms have the ability to chain dependencies, which instructs the platform to install applications in a specific order.

You can read more about ConfigMgr dependencies here - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/apps/deploy-use/create-applications#bkmk_dt-depend
You can read more about Intune dependencies here - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/apps-win32-add#step-5-dependencies

These are things you configure directly in each platform, but you cannot configure these within Patch My PC.

PaulKlerkx

Hi, we just use MCM for applications currently. (we have intune in place but currently only use it for the store apps (since store for business went offline))
I understand the concept of dependencies, but we script mostly because of the fact that dependencies are ignored during an uninstall.  This may just be a change of process I guess because prior to PMPC, to update, we completely removed an app and installed the new version but with PMPC doing updates automatically now, that isn't required. 

I need to retrain my brain :)

So basically, what you are saying is that we allow PMPC to create the applications, then in MCM we then set up the main app with the other apps as dependencies. 

Then each time PMPC creates a replacement application for one of the components, we then need to go into MCM and update the dependencies of the main application but if it is the main application, we need to start over with that application and set up all the dependencies again.  Does that sound about right?

PaulKlerkx

Hard to read my own post :) Is this what you are saying the process would be?

- allow PMPC to create the applications,
 - in MCM configure the main app with the other apps as dependencies. 
 - each time PMPC creates a replacement application for one of the components, we need to go into MCM and update the dependencies of the main application
 - However if it is the main application, we need to start over with that application and set up all the dependencies again.

Does that sound about right?

Scott (Patch My PC)

Hey @PaulKlerkx

Yes, that is mostly correct.

The only amendment is that one you create the dependency in ConfigMgr, Provided you have the Publishers default to update existing ConfigMgr apps in place, we will retain that dependency going forward.

https://docs.patchmypc.com/installation-guides/configmgr/configuration-manger-apps#:~:text=This%20will%20load%20the%20options%20panel%20in%20the%20Publisher.

Here you will see "When a new application update is available" - This would need to be set as default.