• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Applications not licensed for commercial use

Started by aryankanse6, July 07, 2020, 11:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aryankanse6

Hello,

I have been going through adding in additional applications to update with Patch My PC, and noticed that you had CCleaner and Malwarebytes listed. A while back our organization started removing CCleaner and Malwarebytes from our systems because someone realized they are not licensed for businesses. (We never deployed them, but users installed them on their own). We ending up buying their business versions, which have different installation files and their own update mechanism.

I was just curious why home licensed software would be listed in Patch My PC's SCCM database geared towards businesses.

Thanks

Cody Mathis (Patch My PC)

Ultimately, we have added software to the publisher based on customer requests in our uservoice https://ideas.patchmypc.com/

There are a lot of scenarios where even in an enterprise environment the user might install software such as CCleaner or Malwarebytes, such as you saw.

Removing such software due to licensing is definitely a good approach, and likely the preferred path, but I can see a scenario where removing software can take time to get the approvals and work through corporate processes. In the meantime, the software could be patched to mitigate potential vulnerabilities.