• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Error of patchmypc

Started by Lawrencium, May 06, 2023, 08:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle (Patch My PC)

Can you attempt to manually install the latest .NET Framework ver. manually (online or offline installer) and see if it allows you to do so. The error shown is typical with .NET being corrupted in some way.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet-framework/net481

Jaap

Thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to make a suggestion! I've tried to follow them. Which means:
- I've removed .Net Framework via "Turn Windows features on or off";
- I've downloaded and installed the most recent version of .Net Framework Runtime (4.8.1);
- I've removed PatchMyPC.exe from its location om my hard disk and re-copied it (same version, 4.5.0.4) from the Downloads directory to its previous location.

The result of all this is that the error window from .NET Framework now only pops up if I use the switch "/auto" with PatchMyPC. The error message is: "File format is not valid". If I click the "Continue" button in the error window, PatchMyPC does what it should do and exits. If I use PatchMyPC without switches, there is now no error anymore and it remains open. I can live with that, although I like that /auto switch.

I'm using the free version of PatchMyPC, which is why I wasn't familiar with the term "Publisher".

Regards, Jaap.

Jaap

I forgot to mention that I also used the .NET repair tool after installing the latest .NET runtime. However, that made no difference.

Jaap

Is there any chance of repairing the problem with the /auto switch?

OldNavyGuy

What is the output of Get-Package -Name "Microsoft .Net*" | Select-Object -Property Name

You might try doing a repair of Windows 11 using an In-Place Upgrade.

Do a full drive image backup first, in case there is no change.

Worst case is you roll back to where you are now.

Jaap

Hello OldNavyGuy,

thanks for replying. The output is:

Name
----
Microsoft .NET Host - 6.0.14 (x64)
Microsoft .NET Host FX Resolver - 6.0.14 (x64)
Microsoft .NET Runtime - 6.0.14 (x64)
Microsoft .NET Runtime - 6.0.14 (x64)

Regards, Jaap.

OldNavyGuy

The current version of the .NET 6 runtime is 6.0.22, so you're a few versions (and security updates) behind.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0

Not sure why you have two entries for the 6.0.14 runtime, but I would uninstall it and install 6.0.22.

If that doesn't solve the /auto issue, do a repair install of Windows 11 using the In-Place Upgrade method.

As mentioned, do a full drive image first.

Jaap

Hello OldNavyGuy,

I've uninstalled .Net 6.0.14 and installed 6.0.22, then rebooted the PC. No change.

As DISM and SFC report no corruption, I'll wait awhile before I try the in-place upgrade. At the moment, it feels like using a sledgehammer instead of a toothpick, if you get my meaning  :D .

Thanks for responding!

Regards, Jaap.

OldNavyGuy

Corruption is not the only cause of Windows-related issues.

Another way of looking at it is the time spent troubleshooting, versus how long it takes to do a full drive image and then an in-place upgrade.

Your call.

Good luck.

g3nsvrv

Quote from: Jaap on October 08, 2023, 12:33:11 PMHello OldNavyGuy,

I've uninstalled .Net 6.0.14 and installed 6.0.22, then rebooted the PC. No change.

As DISM and SFC report no corruption, I'll wait awhile before I try the in-place upgrade. At the moment, it feels like using a sledgehammer instead of a toothpick, if you get my meaning  :D .

Thanks for responding!

Regards, Jaap.

Same happens to me, but on windows 10 using net framework 7

To me, it shows the pop up when I click update apps, and it update all apps anyways if I press continue.

OldNavyGuy

If you want to do a deep dive, download Sysinternals ProcDump, and set it up to generate a crash dump when the issue occurs.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procdump

Then, get WinDbg, and use that to analyze the crash dump file.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/

Jaap

Thanks for your suggestions, your time and your trouble, OldNavyGuy!