• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Install Optional Updates By Default Option

Started by quicksilva, January 09, 2012, 05:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quicksilva

Hi Justin:

I selected the 'install optional updates by default' option in the GUI of PMPC V2.0.7.3 test run on my wife's Windows XP Home_SP3 PC.  I then reran PMPC with the /s switch at the command prompt. NONE of the outdated optional software (reported on the previous GUI run) was updated.

My XP Pro_SP3 home system is already up to date so testing it there would be pointless.  My laptop is also running XP Pro_SP3 and I know I have optional software which is out of date.  I will do test runs on my laptop this evening and report my findings on a later post on this same topic.

Keep up the good work.

Best regards.

Dan

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

What software was outdated that didn't get updates?

quicksilva

Hi Justin:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I just got home from work and I had to look over the PMPC log files on my wife's PC because I couldn't remember which outdated APPS were NOT updated by PMPC 2.0.7.3.  I landed up having PMPC update those files by running the GUI on that program and it worked fine.

Below are the APPS which were NOT updated:

...  Google Earth
...  MBAM
...  FoxIT PDF Reader

I see that you have created another version 2.0.7.4.  I will NOT bother doing any further testing on 2.0.7.3 unless you specifically request that I do so.  BTW, I have kept all versions of PMPC from 2.0.7.1 forward in my archive and will continue to do so for a short period of time.

I will test out PMPC 2.0.7.4 on my Windows XP PRO_SP3 laptop a little later on this evening.  What I have in mind is to just run the scan using the GUI to see what APPS are listed as being outdated (NOTHING will be updated at this time).  I will then tick the 'Install Optional Updates by Default' option and close the GUI.  I will then invoke PMPC 2.0.7.4 via the command line with the /s switch (by using a batch file).  I will post my findings following this post shortly thereafter.

Take care.

Dan

You were certainly right! I fixed this issue re-download 2.0.7.4 and optional updates should be applied when running silently if the auto apply optional software is checked.

Thanks,

quicksilva

Hi Justin:

As promised, I tested out PMPC 2.0.7.4 on my laptop which is running Windows XP PRO_SP3.  The option to install outdated optional updates by default option does work when set in the GUI and run by the command prompt with the /s switch.  The following APPS on my laptop, which were outdated, were updated to the latest version with the exception of FoxIT reader (more on this later):
...  Flash AX (no issues)
...  CCleaner (no issues)
...  MBAM  (no issues)
...  Notepad ++ (no issues)
...  Firefox (installed to C and original installation on D remained-Two entries in Add/Remove programs)
...  JRE V7u2 (installed to C and JRE V6u29 remained on D-Both entries in Add/Remove programs)
...  Silverlight (installed to C)  No problem for me here as I usually install Micro$oft programs to C drive anyway.
...  FoxIT PDF reader.  This was odd.  PMPC tried to update but appeared to get stuck on version 4.3.1.0218.  Tried several times via command prompt with /s switch and same thing.  Also tried using the GUI and same thing.  I then ran the FoxIT PDF program itself and tried updating from that program.  Usually it will uninstall itself but this time it would NOT.  I landed up uninstalling it via the add/remove programs, and then installing a newer version (to D drive).  Once I did that, I reran the FoxIT program and another update was available which I installed successfully using the update routine in that program.  The latest update is V5.1.4.0104.   I think the problem here was with the FoxIT software and not PMPC based upon what I experienced.

Hope the above helps.

Dan

Thanks for giving feedback! Well Java Run time 6 will only be uninstalled if you run PMPC in non silent mode. You should receive a popup asking you if you would like to uninstall Java 6. If you would like to customize the location you want to install updates disable silent install in the options panel this will allow you to perform the install after the update is downloaded.

Quote from: quicksilva on January 09, 2012, 10:46:48 PM
Hi Justin:

As promised, I tested out PMPC 2.0.7.4 on my laptop which is running Windows XP PRO_SP3.  The option to install outdated optional updates by default option does work when set in the GUI and run by the command prompt with the /s switch.  The following APPS on my laptop, which were outdated, were updated to the latest version with the exception of FoxIT reader (more on this later):
...  Flash AX (no issues)
...  CCleaner (no issues)
...  MBAM  (no issues)
...  Notepad ++ (no issues)
...  Firefox (installed to C and original installation on D remained-Two entries in Add/Remove programs)
...  JRE V7u2 (installed to C and JRE V6u29 remained on D-Both entries in Add/Remove programs)
...  Silverlight (installed to C)  No problem for me here as I usually install Micro$oft programs to C drive anyway.
...  FoxIT PDF reader.  This was odd.  PMPC tried to update but appeared to get stuck on version 4.3.1.0218.  Tried several times via command prompt with /s switch and same thing.  Also tried using the GUI and same thing.  I then ran the FoxIT PDF program itself and tried updating from that program.  Usually it will uninstall itself but this time it would NOT.  I landed up uninstalling it via the add/remove programs, and then installing a newer version (to D drive).  Once I did that, I reran the FoxIT program and another update was available which I installed successfully using the update routine in that program.  The latest update is V5.1.4.0104.   I think the problem here was with the FoxIT software and not PMPC based upon what I experienced.

Hope the above helps.

Dan