• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Duplicating Programs

Started by skoubah, November 16, 2015, 04:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skoubah

When i use patchmypc to update apps it seems to be installing the updated version of a program as well as the old one, instead of replacing them.

So multiple versions of multiple programs appear in add/remove programs as well as patchmypc.

To that end sometimes when i launch patch my pc it will warn me to remove these duplicate programs, problem is when i do, the program just dissapears, so in other words it seems to uninstall all the programs.

How can i stop this from happening.

andrewsayshello

I also ran into this issue today.  Happened when I tried to update 7-Zip and VLC Media Player.

Omar (Patch My PC)

You just have to remove the older versions, if it removed the old and new one in the same time then it means that their uninstaller automatically removed them both and we can't do anything about this.

stephen.odwyer

I am having the same issues.

Is there no way that the patches can programmed to remove the earlier versions?

Having the software patched and then having to create a secondary solution remove the earlier versions from all our systems defeats the object of having the automated patching.  If I have to go to the trouble of creating a removal solution for the earlier versions (which will need to be amended every time new patches come out) then whats the point in using PMPC?

Eric (Patch My PC)

One of the problems is that the author's sometimes have several different installers they use. For instance, one could be a MSI installer and another with an EXE installer. They create different install entries. We standardize as much as possible. If it gets installed via one method by Patch My PC, then we will try to always use the same install method. Unfortunately their are so many legacy entries over the many years. If you have examples we could attempt to work in uninstalls in the code for the future.