• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

[Feature request] Scheduled notify only mode

Started by C5Bob, March 13, 2018, 02:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C5Bob

I would like the option for PMPC to schedule a run and if something needs to be updated then PMPC remains open telling me what needs updating. It does not automatically update anything, it just shows me what needs updating. If nothing needs updating then the PMPC program exits since it has nothing to tell me.

Why do I want this?

I like PMPC to periodically (once a day in my case) check to see if anything needs to be updated. If something needs to be updated I want to know about it.

I don't want PMPC to automatically update programs when it runs in this mode. Sometimes it decides that a program needs to be updated when I don't want that program to be updated. Like now, when it wants to update Skype even though I tell it to disable auto updating of Skype. I prefer to see what PMPC plans on updating and perhaps disable some updates before telling PMPC to install the updates.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Interesting idea, we will see what we can do. We were thinking about improving the task tray feature so it can monitor changes in definitions and do a task tray popup if an app needed updated. I think this would likely be the approach we take to implement a feature like this.

Aitch

Excellent!

Would having a tray icon mean PMPU would be continuously running in the background?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Quote from: Aitch on March 20, 2018, 02:37:43 PM
Excellent!

Would having a tray icon mean PMPU would be continuously running in the background?

Probably, we haven't thought through the design. It would not doing anything though until the definitions were changed then perform a re-scan < 1 sec and we use practically no resources.

Aitch

If it uses no resources, then all is good in da hood!