• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Firefox Updates to Different Directory

Started by tamovo1941, June 02, 2020, 09:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tamovo1941

As in title, updating a pre-installed Firefox leads to the updated Firefox being installed in the default directory of C:\ as oppsoed to where the original unupdated Firefox was installed.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Firefox in a different directory other than "C:\". E.g. "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"
2. Open PatchMyPC and let Firefox update via PatchMyPC
3. Updated Firefox gets installed in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox".
4. Previous version of Firefox in "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" will still remain and you can now find two entries of Firefox for uninstalling in the Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs.

tamovo1941

To followup the same issue occurs for Mozilla Thunderbird as well.

Omar (Patch My PC)

It's because silent installations installs in "C:\Program Files\" by default, not just for Mozilla products, it's for all apps in Patch My PC.
You can right click on Firefox and choose "Disable Silent Installation For This App" and update it manually when it has updates, this way you can choose the location for install/update.

tamovo1941

Thank you for the clear up Mr. Omar. I would however like to state that despite your statement that " It's because silent installations installs in "C:\Program Files\" by default, not just for Mozilla products, it's for all apps in Patch My PC " this doesn't seem to be the case from my personal experience.

Some software such as Git, Media Player Class - Home Cinema and Foobar2000 to name a few has been consistently updating to it's prevoius installation path of "D:". with silent installation enabled on them. Hence, my confusion and misunderstanding of why Mozilla was installing to "C:\" despite being installed to a different drive.

Edit #1: Upon further investigation I have observed that Mozilla products are the only ones that are subjected to the installation to path "C:\" despite a different installation path initially when using silent updates via Patch My PC. However, it should be noted that this only appliies to the list of programs I have that is maintained by Patch My PC (Listed Below) and programs not in the list below may also behave the same way as Mozilla products with silent installations.

1. 7-Zip
2. AnyDesk
3. BleachBit
4. Foobar 2000
5. GIMP
6. Git
7. IrfanView
8. KC Softwares SUMo
9. MPC-HC
10. Oracle VM VirtualBox
11. PDF-XChange Editor
12. qBittorrent

There are other software that is maintained by Patch My PC but I have not listed them as they have never been updated by Patch My PC on my end.

tamovo1941

Quote from: Admin - Omar on June 03, 2020, 02:32:35 AM
It's because silent installations installs in "C:\Program Files\" by default, not just for Mozilla products, it's for all apps in Patch My PC.
You can right click on Firefox and choose "Disable Silent Installation For This App" and update it manually when it has updates, this way you can choose the location for install/update.

Solution by right clicking and choosing "Disable Silent Instattion For This App" doesn't seem to be working as of PatchMyPC v. 4.1.0.5. Disabling Silent Installation For This App still causes app to install silently.

Edit 1: Turning off Silent Installation Globally from Techincal Options seems to work however, individual silent installation rules are still ignored.

sr8283

We face this during our trial with Patch My PC. Updates enabled for Thunderbird is causing another instance of Thunderbird to be installed as the previous version is a Dutch version. I couldnt find the option to "Disable Silent Installation". Where do we find this?