• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

General Post Script Behavior Question (Cisco AnyConnect Strategy)

Started by Jared, August 13, 2021, 07:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Hi,

I'm currently testing the Cisco AnyConnect bundle operations described in your article here.  So far this is working great for me, but large scale AnyConnect upgrades have a very high failure rate in our experience.  We've always done AnyConnect upgrades with a Task Sequence in ConfigMgr, and I'm trying to siphon the functionality from the task sequence into the Pre/Post script solution in PatchMyPC.

One of the things we do is kill all the AnyConnect processes before attempting to install the Core module.  If the Core fails, we attempt to kill the processes again, and repeat this several times.

So my question is:  Will the post script run even if the initial upgrade of the Core module fails?  If it does, that makes my solution easier since I can just attempt to kill the processes and reinstall the Core again in the post script.

If it does not, I can add a pre script to the Core upgrade to kill the AnyConnect processes.  But I think I'll only get one shot at that.  I can't run the pre script multiple times, and I probably shouldn't attempt to install the Core module from the pre script (or maybe I could, and then the actual upgrade would effectively take no action?)...

Thanks

Jake Shackelford (Patch My PC)

A pre-script will not run if the core installation fails.

In regards to a prescript to kill the processes you can actually use our right click options for manage conflicting processes. This will let you target apps to close, more info can be found here: https://patchmypc.com/manage-conflicting-processes-when-updating-third-party-applications

You can also use this KB to get more info on the pre/post script options: https://patchmypc.com/custom-options-available-for-third-party-updates-and-applications#custom-scripts

Jared

You mean the post-script will not run, right?

Ah, I never saw that Manage Process List button in the conflicting processes window!  Thanks.

Jake Shackelford (Patch My PC)

Jared

Does the pre-script run before or after the Manage Conflicting Processes functionality occurs?

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Hey Jared

The pre-scripts will run after managing conflicting processes functions.