• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Digest Mismatch Due To Download URL Being Filtered by Firewall or Web Filter

Started by Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC), February 16, 2019, 09:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Digest Mismatch Due To Download URL Being Filtered by Firewall or Web Filter

If you received an error message in the PatchMyPC.log similar to the one shown below when publishing a third-party update this article should help.

Digest of the downloaded update doesn't match the digest from the catalog: Hash from catalog [0Io0A82tYc06ybySLZ1osB5VYzY=] doesnÔÇÖt match downloaded update hash of [YQMfSKsyclBqVjGnvRdBuoCCcvY=]
This error appears to be a known error. Please see our KB article https://patchmypc.com/digest-mismatch-download-filtered for the resolution.

Why the Hash Check?

Whenever we download an update file from a vendor's website to publish to WSUS/SCCM, we validate the hash of the current binary downloaded matches the original hash within the catalog metadata. This check ensures that if a binary is compromised or changed on vendors website, we will not publish the software update. We have a deep dive into our security validation process here.

Resolution to this Specific Hash Check Failure

If you received the error message above that links our to this article, that means the hash check failed, and the downloaded file size was less than 100 kb.When the downloaded file is less than 100 kb in size, this almost always correlates to a web filter or firewall blocking the download from the server that is running our publishing service.Step 1 - Open the PatchMyPC.log from the publishing service.

PatchMyPC-Publishing-Service-Open-PatchMyPC-Log-File-UI

Step 2 - Copy the download URL from the PatchMyPC.log for any updates receiving this hash error.

Copy-Download-URL-For-Update-Hash-Error-Due-To-Filtering

Step 3 - Paste the download URL into a web browser on the same server running the publishing service and check if you receive an error that a web filter is blocking the download.

Download URL Being Filtered in Browser

Step 4 - You will need to get exceptions created for any downloads receiving this hash error for "digest mismatch download filtered".