• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Java support insufficient

Started by RichardEb, July 03, 2019, 11:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardEb

Hi

The support of java is very insufficient:

- No Java 11 & 12 support
- No Java JDK support
- Java 8 with outdated version

It would be very nice if you could fix this and keep an eye on it for more frequent updates.

Java is one of the most attacked softwares. So an up to date version is mandatory.

Edit:

Java 10 is supported by PatchMyPC but is end of life. PatchMyPC shouldn't deliver this as an install option. Instead PatchMyPC should update Java 10 Installtions to 11 or 12 (auto-update)

Omar (Patch My PC)

We will remove Java 10 and Java 8 soon.
Latest JDK 8 & 12 is in Patch My PC under Developer section.

RichardEb

Quote from: Admin - Omar on July 04, 2019, 03:15:54 AM
We will remove Java 10 and Java 8 soon.
Latest JDK 8 & 12 is in Patch My PC under Developer section.

Why remove Java 8? It's supported till March 2025.

Removing the support is not enough. PatchMyPC should make an automatic update anyway. Java ( 8 ), 9 , 10 -> 12. Otherwise the Pc remains with an unsupported end of life Java version. This is not how I like my patch management software to work.

Ps: Then the PatchMyPC search function isn't working properly. If I search for Java it shows me only the JRE versions.

RichardEb

You can't say: "Just let the old version there. Don't mind. Feeling lazy today. Maybe you get hacked later lol"

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Quote from: RichardEb on July 04, 2019, 03:43:23 AM
Why remove Java 8? It's supported till March 2025.

Oracle no longer provides the JRE 8 offline installer for public download without manually accepting a EULA. This was due to licensing changes in JRE8u211.

RichardEb

Quote from: RichardEb on July 04, 2019, 03:43:23 AM
Maybe you can download the JRE directly from Oracle and show the user the EULA (and add an remember decision button)

Not possible, the EULA is required on the download page. You should be able to use the self-update feature built into Java in the meantime.

RichardEb

Why do you edit my post? I didn't wrote that. Wtf?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

My bad, I must have clicked modify instead of Quote on the reply.

Quote from: RichardEb on July 04, 2019, 07:54:50 AM
Why do you edit my post? I didn't wrote that. Wtf?

RichardEb

Then I try to write my post again.

If you remove support for Java 8 and 10 you have to add an update mechanism to Java 12. (Or what ever the current supported version is)

Otherwise all users will get stuck with an vulnerable Java version. Yes you can update manually... But this is not why I use an automatic patch management.

It looks like oracle will release new Java major versions very frequently. If I have to update every time manually I don't need a patch management.