• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Can I restrict updates of a certain software for a particular user / machine?

Started by dnewland, November 26, 2018, 01:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnewland

Hi.

We purchased PatchMyPC a month or so ago, and it is working well for us.  Thanks!!  Some folks think it is working a bit TOO well, in fact, and we have a few users who have presented business cases for why certain software they use needs to be patched only by them, or needs to remain unpatched. 

So we now have a process set up in conjunction with our security team where users can request an exemption from a particular update.  These are very specific cases.  For instance we have one user who has an application that requires an older version of node.js.  I would love to just tell them they need to update their application so that the app is compatible with current patched versions of node.js, but that is not my call. 

If the request is approved (and in this case it was) I need to exclude just that one person from getting updates to just one program (node.js).  I still want them to receive all of the other applicable 3rd party updates available through PatchMyPC. 

What is the best way to do this?

Cheers,

Dan

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hey Dan,

Updates are all device collection based. You could need to exclude the machine from the collection that Node.JS is targetting. Unfortionally, there is no user-based exclusions possible for software updates in SCCM.