• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Updated programs not noted as updated?? Rescan won't help.

Started by Black Tiger, March 15, 2018, 03:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Tiger

Hello.
I don't know if this is a bug or not, so I just ask here to be sure. Please move the thread if this is the wrong section.

So I started using Patch My PC since a couple of days. It's very fast and nice, so far so good. I'm missing something, which I already posted in the request section.

However, I've got an issue with the program.
I don't like any program to patch my software. If possible I want to let the applications itself do it and use PMP only for notifications about what outdated. This can be setup, no problem there.
So I did a scan and several program's were found outdated, like Teamviewer, Malware Bytes, Teamspeak Client and a couple of others.

I started Teamviewer and upgraded from within Teamviewer itself like I always do. Same goes for the other applications mentioned. So far so good.
However, when using the Re-Scan installed apps, they are still presented the same way, as being outdated with the old version number, while in fact they are updated, having the new version number.

At first I thought it might be some cache so I waited a day, but today the same programs are being incorrectly presented as outdated.

So it seems the scan option does not see that things are updated? Is it the program or am I doing something wrong?

FYI: I'm having the language option set to Dutch, but several program's I still use in the English language. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, however, Malware Bytes is in Dutch and is also outdated according to PMP.

How can this be fixed? Or is this a bug?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

They would only still be listed if the update isn't also updating the version entry in add and remove programs. You can check the uninstall tab in Patch My PC for the version entry the application currently had in add and remove programs.

Also, you can disable silent installs in the options. If you do that, we will just download the uninstaller and launch it with no silent comment line for you to install. May be faster than going through each apps updater.

Quote from: Black Tiger on March 15, 2018, 03:00:49 PM
Hello.
I don't know if this is a bug or not, so I just ask here to be sure. Please move the thread if this is the wrong section.

So I started using Patch My PC since a couple of days. It's very fast and nice, so far so good. I'm missing something, which I already posted in the request section.

However, I've got an issue with the program.
I don't like any program to patch my software. If possible I want to let the applications itself do it and use PMP only for notifications about what outdated. This can be setup, no problem there.
So I did a scan and several program's were found outdated, like Teamviewer, Malware Bytes, Teamspeak Client and a couple of others.

I started Teamviewer and upgraded from within Teamviewer itself like I always do. Same goes for the other applications mentioned. So far so good.
However, when using the Re-Scan installed apps, they are still presented the same way, as being outdated with the old version number, while in fact they are updated, having the new version number.

At first I thought it might be some cache so I waited a day, but today the same programs are being incorrectly presented as outdated.

So it seems the scan option does not see that things are updated? Is it the program or am I doing something wrong?

FYI: I'm having the language option set to Dutch, but several program's I still use in the English language. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, however, Malware Bytes is in Dutch and is also outdated according to PMP.

How can this be fixed? Or is this a bug?

Black Tiger

QuoteYou can check the uninstall tab in Patch My PC for the version entry the application currently had in add and remove programs.
I think we found the issue in my system.

I used Teamspeak client as test and I just had a look in the uninstall tab of PMP and the one from Windows. In both PMP and Windows uninstaller, Teamspeak client is stated as version 3.1.7.
However when I open TS client, it is already updated to version 3.1.8.
Same goes for OBS and the others mentioned as far as I could see.

It looks that for some reason, several applications are not sending the version numbers in a correct way to the Windows uninstaller.

I did not have this version issue with Secunia, so they might have used another way to check applications.

Do you know by any chance a way to fix this? Because this is clearly a Windows issue, not a PMP issue.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Well, it's actually an issue with the apps self updater. Looks like they are most likely just replacing files and not actually updating their programs version entry in add and remove programs. You could run the the installer using Patch My PC. Just disable the silent install in the options menu. We will actually download their latest installer for the update vs just replacing maybe a few files this will likely also get the version entry in add and remove programs.

Black Tiger

I'm sure you're correct. It's just very odd that Mozilla Firefox does this correctly and also well known developers like Malware Bytes and Teamspeak don't do this the correct way or don't delete the old version (in case of MSI CPUID Z).

Anyway, glad this is resolved, I now know how to fix this. Thank you!