• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Ninite...

Started by Aitch, January 11, 2018, 12:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aitch

Just wanted to ask...

Ninite is able to update some programs which PMP can't - could the same method be used by PMP to allow more software to be included? 

Also, it would be cool if you put the Voting page somewhere easier to find on your main website

https://patchmypc.net/vote-for-new-apps

Maybe on the top bar along with "Home - SCUP Catalogue - Free Updater - Tech Support - Company - Contact Us"?

Thanks!

Omar (Patch My PC)

We have most of the apps that in Ninite, we will see if we can add the rest :)
Thanks for the suggesting about the poll's location, we will pin it somewhere more obvious.

Aitch

Cool - it would be great if you could figure out a way to include these two... even though they don't comply!

Everything = https://www.voidtools.com/

FreeFileSync = https://www.freefilesync.org/

Omar (Patch My PC)

We really wish we can add all the incompatible apps but :( But we can't for now as longs as their conditions doesn't change! We will try to keep our eyes on them every now and then, and please let us know if conditions has changed :)

Aitch

Dude, as I'm sure you know - Ninite is the "goto" that most people use... so is your main competition!

Now PMP is a bajillion times better - but you won't beat Ninite unless/until you include everything they do bro! 

Obviously many programs are currently incompatible (which is due to the software developers and not your fault!) - BUT Ninite has figured out a way... so I'm sure a computer genius like you can do the same!

Where there's a will - there's a way my friend!

I'm guessing that Ninite probably gets around the incompatibility issues by somehow hacking the program to strip out, or add in, what is necessary?
If that is the case - then could you do the same?

In fact bro - could you "secretly" download the Ninite version... and use that for PMP updates lol?!

Anyway, after a quick check - it seems these 22 programs are not covered by PMP... so hopefully you can make these a priority:

RealVNC
Launchy
InfraRecorder
Trillian
Spotify
CCCP
.NET
Python
JDK
Eclipse
Visual Studio
Krita
Inkscape
ShareX
CutePDF
PDF Creator
Avira
Everything
NV Access
Mozy
OneDrive
Sugarsync

Seriously bro, PMP is goddamn awesome! Everybody on the planet should be using it! Make it happen baby!

PS: Yes dude, pin the Voting Poll somewhere better - and also, put this page right up front and in yo face! = https://patchmypc.net/supported-products-free-updater
So far you have 222 programs covered - that's HUGE! Make a big deal of it - instead of hiding it away lol! Shout it from the highest mountain man!

Omar (Patch My PC)

lol thanks for all the love :) there is some other ways for some apps to be added by using scripts but it would be so annoying to do it for each version of each of the incompatible apps! :( and we have way more apps than Ninite does so it's going to be a pain! we will see if we can do some changes to Patch My PC soon so we can add as many of the incompatible apps as possible.

We had "Launchy" but removed it recently with some other discontinued apps since it doesn't get any updates for 8 years now ! it seems dead IDK!
We also had "PDF Creator" but removed it eventually because it was installing "PDF Architect" with it and lots of people were upset about this! we will re-test and see if it doesn't now or if there is a way to do it. Will keep the rest of the list in mind :)
Inkscape will be added next time along with ~25 new apps soon ;)

Aitch

222 + 25 = 247 = Kickass !!!

No doubt a lot of software will become discontinued - but if it is still popular, then you should include it... many people like to stick with good old software!
And it increases the number of programs you cover - so PMP looks even more comprehensive!

If you keep adding 25 apps each time - then you only need a few more updates to get to 350... which means you've covered pretty much ALL of the best freeware out there!

Nobody can complain about anything missing then lol - which means PMP will go viral and hit the big-time!

It will become the first thing people download all over the word - and you will have a user base of Beeeelions!

Also, you should try and update the UI too when you find time - make it more slick and modern... with a similar theme to Windows 10 or Glasswire etc...
The more polished PMP looks, the more people will use it - and don't forget to update your website too... people want/expect stylish stuff these days!

Omar (Patch My PC)

Lol thanks for the love and the trust ;)
We are trying our best to improve it, I agree 100% with the UI is so outdated and needs a totally new design but the main developer who's responsible about this is busy for a while and the redesign will take time anyway.
Launchy is add now to the poll, will add it to PMPC again if it got a lot of votes.

Aitch

What is the main developer doing? Is it more important than PMP?
Is there a reason why you can't work on updating the UI Omar?

Please don't wait for votes on apps dude - just put them on your "To Do List" and add them when you can!

Or in other words... Just Do It !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

Omar (Patch My PC)

He is the owner and the who can make a new UI but I can't and on one else can for now, I can only add new apps and fix some small bugs.
And don't worry all of the apps in the poll will be added since all of them were requested and they are compatible! The poll is just to know & add the most demanded apps first :)

Aitch

Is the owner working full-time on PMP/SCUP - or does he have another main job ?!

If updating the UI is not possible - then surely you can improve the website dude!
HTML/CSS is very quick and easy to do - or just use/copy a nice template from another website lol!

So you have 78 apps on the Poll now - which means it will take maybe 3 more updates to include them all if you keep adding about 25 each time...
Dude, why not accelerate things by adding 40 apps with every update! 

It's better to work hard today... so you can enjoy relaxing tomorrow!