• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Dell Command Update NOT automatically update PCs

Started by Aleksander, February 23, 2022, 01:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksander

Hi,

Dell Command Update NOT automatically update PCs, as Lenovo System Update is doing.

Do you know any trigger/switches that need to be added during installtion of software, to forced "Dell Command Update" to update PCs? as it is now user get questions if they want to update dell computers, every two weeks.

Dell Command Update 4.4.0

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Hey Aleksander,

If you want to update Dell Command Update I recommend deploying the update to your devices. If you want the software to update itself, I recommend investigating if the software is capable of doing this by reading the vendor's software documentation.

Aleksander

I may have misspoken, what I mean is a switch that will cause Dell Command Update to update drivers and firmware automatically, not by asking users.

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Hey Aleksander,

Ah, gotcha. In any case, I still recommend referring to the vendor's documentation on this one as you are ultimately asking how to configure their software. Unfortunately I do not know the answer.

shandor

Hi there!
We had Intune installing Dell Command Update with automatic settings in place to enforce driver installation after a certain amount of allowed deferrals, etc.
We took these instructions from the below video:

Here's a summary. First install the software manually, configure it as you want and export an XML of the intended config. Now you can start building the installer package. Then the installer package does the following:

• Install the software silently
  • Add a registry key to prevent the setup popup screen
  • Add a registry key to indicate the configuration was successful
  • Run a command on the installed software to import the xml configuration settings you created earlier
  • Run a command on the installed software to lock all the settings for non local admin users

Now if I can just figure out a way to successfully have this work again within Patch My PC. Any ideas?

shandor

I finally figured this one out and it's embarrassingly simple. You can actually do everything you need via commands run inside the dcu-cli.exe file. Here are the commands I have run to set everything we need and then to lock down the settings for end users:

"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -scheduleDaily=15:30
"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -scheduleAuto -scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify
"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -installationDeferral=enable -deferralInstallInterval=4 -deferralInstallCount=5 -systemRestartDeferral=enable -deferralRestartInterval=4 -deferralRestartCount=5
"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -locksettings=enable