• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Plantronics / Poly Hub fails to update with error 0x80070643

Started by MadsB, February 16, 2021, 02:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadsB

We have 19K clients that are running MEMCM CB 2006.

The clients has no problem applying updates for Acrobat Reader DC, Notepad++ and a number of others 3rd party product updates so the client and site setup appear to be working correctly.

PmPC has been a big timesaver patching a lot of apps, but for some reason the updates for the Plantronics / Poly Hub refuses to install, returning error 0x80070643 in the SW center.

I have read somewhere that it might be a problem if the app was installed with the .msi installer and the patch were using the .exe update, but I have tried to install both and the result is the same.

WUAHandler.log list "Installation job encountered some failures. Job Result = 0x80240022." and WindowsUpdate.log lists "Handler         Command line install completed. Return code = 0x00000652, Result = Failed, Reboot required = false"

This has been a problem for at least 3 or 4 updates of Plantronics hub, so something weird is going on.

I have found several suggestions of just wiping the content of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, but before trying that, I would like to hear if someone has a less heavy-handed solution to this?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hi, Can you please open a support case for this here: https://patchmypc.com/technical-support

If you also have the application specific install logs, would you be able to provide those in the support request as well?

MadsB

Figured it out collecting the requested log files.

In PatchMyPC-ScriptRunner.log the PLTHub.exe process was found and then the installation is aborted...

So, no need to create a support ticket.

Now is there any elegant way to warn the user before killing the process?

I will become very unpopular with the users if I simply kill the process when they are in an online meeting, but if that is the only option, then so be it.

Maybe this is an idea for a future feature request? To display a nag screen before killing the app process?

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

We are currently working on a notification feature for just this scenario. More info here: https://ideas.patchmypc.com/ideas/PATCHMYPC-I-438

MadsB