• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Optional software

Started by parkd1, September 11, 2011, 08:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkd1

How does optional software work? From what I can see it does not to see if I have it anything installed. I have Google Chrome 15 installed what is the latest but a test version. Opera that is the next version that is in testing. Thunderbird the next version that is in beta testing. Is it just going to download the latest release and install it over the test version I have installed? Would it be better for it to check first to see what you have installed then download and install. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

No optional software is installedby default. You need to click the optional software button and check the checkbox if you want to install any optional software. When patch my pc is loaded if will give you a list of outdated sw installed including optional sw. So if the latest version of thunderbird is 6.0.2 and you have 6.0.1 installed it will show up and you will know you should check thunderbird.

Justin

Lord Necron

Quote from: Justin on September 11, 2011, 10:14:05 AM
When patch my pc is loaded if will give you a list of outdated sw installed including optional sw. So if the latest version of thunderbird is 6.0.2 and you have 6.0.1 installed it will show up and you will know you should check thunderbird.

I'm not seeing this in ver 2.0.3. I just tested, and an outdated VLC did not show up as needing updated. I will be happy to test further if needed.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

I left VLC player out of the outdated check because it usually required user interaction when installing.

Quote from: Lord Necron on September 26, 2011, 11:58:47 AM
Quote from: Justin on September 11, 2011, 10:14:05 AM
When patch my pc is loaded if will give you a list of outdated sw installed including optional sw. So if the latest version of thunderbird is 6.0.2 and you have 6.0.1 installed it will show up and you will know you should check thunderbird.

I'm not seeing this in ver 2.0.3. I just tested, and an outdated VLC did not show up as needing updated. I will be happy to test further if needed.

Lord Necron

Quote from: Justin on September 26, 2011, 02:05:04 PM
I left VLC player out of the outdated check because it usually required user interaction when installing.

Maybe you would consider an advanced mode or some way to switch this on if wanted? Even if just through the XML config file? (For all optional, not just VLC ;)  )