• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Restrict architecture specific applications to the correct architecture

Started by JimWebb, July 24, 2020, 02:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimWebb

Hello,

I'm looking to start using the application publishing feature to keep frequently updated software current. Something I noticed is that there are no OS requirements on any of the applications with architecture specific versions. This presents a problem since we use a single deploy collection that could contain both x86 and x64 versions of Windows. What I'd like to see is a way to either combine the two architectures into a single application with multiple deployment types, or a way in the PatchMyPC tool to edit those settings similar to how you can modify the user experience and icon/properties.

Edge, as an example, has both a x86 and x64 application. The x64 will show up for install on x86 versions of Windows, as will the x86 on x64 versions of Windows. This means I need two deploy collections to prevent this from happening.

Thanks!

Jim

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

Hi Jim,

This is not something we could easily to today based on how we package and publish the apps. Voting on the idea is definitely the way to go so we can gauge the popularity of the request and see if it is something we should consider for the future. In the meantime, Deploying to 2 collections is the way to go for now.

JimWebb

Would it be possible to add a requirement for the architecture to each of the apps that have both x86 and x64? Or select the operating systems that match the architecture. Also, if I add a requirement to one of the PatchMyPC created apps, will my settings be removed when it gets updated?

Thanks,

Jim

Today, requirements are placed on 64-bit apps so that they only install on 64-bit devices, 32-bit apps are able to be installed on either 32 or 64 bit devices.

If you attach custom requirements to an app created by Patch My PC, those should be transferred when new versions are released, so you could do that as a workaround.

JimWebb

I just checked, and the majority of our x64 applications created by PatchMyPC do not have any requirements. This includes Teams x64, Firefox x64, Firefox ESR x64, and Apple iTunes x64. Some of the apps were created with 1.9.2.0 and don't have the x64 OS requirement. But our 7-Zip x64 app was created with 1.8.2 and has the requirement. It seems to be hit or miss. Have you seen this before?

What happens if I delete a PatchMyPC created application? Will it just get recreated?

Thanks for your help.

If you delete an application, Patch My PC will recreate it on the next sync.

I will double-check with the developers what the requirement is to add the x64 requirement to an app.

Looks like we base the requirement on the title and some internal data. We're going to be looking at the requirements rules in the near future and see if we can make some improvements here.