• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

[Feature Request] Custom DirectoryÔÇÖs Support Per Portable Application

Started by jeromemaydYy, February 24, 2018, 07:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeromemaydYy

Can you please add support for setting custom directories for each individual portable application, if the main portable application directory isnÔÇÖt desired by a user.
Thanks

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

We will keep this in mind in the future. It's not a bad idea but would need to think through the best way to implement it.

foleyface

hello. Thank you for your project and being so available!

Want to second this request and make a suggestion for it. There are many currently supported installer apps with portable versions that I use. The convenience of autoupdating does not entice me change that for any of them. My real interest in trying PatchMyPCUpdater lies in finding procedures for managing one's custom set of portable apps. I was hopeful especially since your app is a standalone one itself, which seems a statement of principle yes?

SUGGESTIONS for Color Options | GUI Context Menu | Portable App Section:
(Seems like implementing in cooperative stages could be good, using as much user-do-it-yourself opt-in-ability as possible)

1) add to your Rt-Click Menu any or all of these:
-"Mark this app for Download-Only Mode" [and include a special highlight color for these] [as opposed to the current all or nothing for that mode] [this would actually solve this entire 'issue' since after all these are portables; this would also benefit some installer app scenarios]

[if the above wouldnt resolve this whole request issue, keep reading..]

-"Vote for inclusion of the Portable Version of this app in the catalog!"
-"Add this installer app (blue highlighted) to your/the Portable Apps section" to remind you when (manual) updates are available.
-[or] "Add this app to your favorites section" (without changing its actionable status) aka "Monitor this app" aka "Custom color highlight this app".

2) maybe an ultimate goal could be to add a section of the ini file for user tweaks for portable apps [directories; switches; scripts; opt-out automations or 'slim version repositories'; custom descriptions or notes]
-which could each be discussed by all, created by all, and approved by you in this forum.
-which we would be made to be aware involved no guarantees by you as to breaking things.
-eg. ways of adding one's own portables via a script that interfaces with a known safe repository like MajorGeeks [if they are willing to participate]

3) May be a separate issue, but some of the catalog apps (installers, like i think DoNotSpy10) maybe should have right-click infos/abouts to warn that autoihnstalling means not opting out of bundleware or etc.
-this could also be resolved by allowing folks to custom highlight any such app they have concerns about, while creating a general warning about this maybe in the Visual Options section next to the highlight setting for it.

thanks again for your great work!

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Quote from: foleyface on February 27, 2018, 07:40:20 PM
hello. Thank you for your project and being so available!

Want to second this request and make a suggestion for it. There are many currently supported installer apps with portable versions that I use. The convenience of autoupdating does not entice me change that for any of them. My real interest in trying PatchMyPCUpdater lies in finding procedures for managing one's custom set of portable apps. I was hopeful especially since your app is a standalone one itself, which seems a statement of principle yes?

SUGGESTIONS for Color Options | GUI Context Menu | Portable App Section:
(Seems like implementing in cooperative stages could be good, using as much user-do-it-yourself opt-in-ability as possible)

1) add to your Rt-Click Menu any or all of these:
-"Mark this app for Download-Only Mode" [and include a special highlight color for these] [as opposed to the current all or nothing for that mode] [this would actually solve this entire 'issue' since after all these are portables; this would also benefit some installer app scenarios]

[if the above wouldnt resolve this whole request issue, keep reading..]

-"Vote for inclusion of the Portable Version of this app in the catalog!"
-"Add this installer app (blue highlighted) to your/the Portable Apps section" to remind you when (manual) updates are available.
-[or] "Add this app to your favorites section" (without changing its actionable status) aka "Monitor this app" aka "Custom color highlight this app".

2) maybe an ultimate goal could be to add a section of the ini file for user tweaks for portable apps [directories; switches; scripts; opt-out automations or 'slim version repositories'; custom descriptions or notes]
-which could each be discussed by all, created by all, and approved by you in this forum.
-which we would be made to be aware involved no guarantees by you as to breaking things.
-eg. ways of adding one's own portables via a script that interfaces with a known safe repository like MajorGeeks [if they are willing to participate]

3) May be a separate issue, but some of the catalog apps (installers, like i think DoNotSpy10) maybe should have right-click infos/abouts to warn that autoihnstalling means not opting out of bundleware or etc.
-this could also be resolved by allowing folks to custom highlight any such app they have concerns about, while creating a general warning about this maybe in the Visual Options section next to the highlight setting for it.

thanks again for your great work!

Thanks for the feedback. We will keep these in mind as we go forward to see what we may be able to do.