• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Catalog sometimes not downloading, cached, or what?

Started by Pepper, August 22, 2013, 11:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepper

I've noticed sometimes after I get the email or RSS notification that the catalog has been updated, importing the catalog into SCUP does nothing. No new updates.

I have a test system and a live system. When the notice went out today, I immediately imported the catalog on my test system. It saw all the changes. A little while later I did the same on the other system and it sees no changes since the last time. Both think they are up to date, but one has (as an example) WireShark 1.10.1 as the latest while the other one has 1.9.2.

Unless you reverted back to the previous version of the catalog shortly after release without telling anybody. Or you have a redundant webserver and it takes a while to replicate changes.

Edit: I waited another hour, it worked this time. I'm betting on caching or replication latency.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

It wasn't reverted back interesting. Are you importing the catalog from the URL for your subscription or are you manually downloading and importing it each time it's updates?

Pepper

Check out around 11:30 in the demo here: https://patchmypc.net/scup if you add the catalog this may it will save you time.

Pepper

Just to follow up, I "finally" solved this issue.

Turns out that for some reason the fact that my pfSense has a caching proxy enabled had eluded me until yesterday, when I got the bright idea to add "patchmypc.net" to its "don't cache" list. To that, I can only say, "well - duh!"