• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

[REQUEST] AdwCleaner

Started by ScottNY845, April 22, 2016, 08:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omar (Patch My PC)

Unfortunately we can't add this great app since it's portable, The app must have installer in order to get detected by Patch My PC :)

Theabim

Are you not able to just check the file version you can normally see this by right clicking on the file going to properties then details it should show the file version there.

Then as an example you could go to a website like filehipo.com and checking if there is a new version available.

As adding support for portable applications would be great.

Omar (Patch My PC)

The way that "Patch My PC" programmed can't detect portable apps, they must be installed.

Theabim

Can you add support for this? (Portable app support)

MaxReedLeo07

AdwCleaner is secure to use in case you down load it from a safe supply. I used it numerous times on other peoples' computers, and constantly worked good.

LittlBUGer

The problem with any portable application is that the file(s) can be located anywhere on the hard drive. This is different than an installed program which has information in the registry and elsewhere about where it's files are located so that it can be easily updated or removed. I don't think PatchMyPC will take the time to scour the hard drive to hopefully find the one portable app that you want to update and then re-download it to get it updated. That's too much effort and too many things that can go wrong, as well as making the whole process take far longer. I believe that's why no portable app is supported, but I could be wrong. Just putting in my 2 cents.  :)

Omar (Patch My PC)

We just released Patch My PC v3.1.0.0 and added portable apps support and also added AdwCleaner :)

lezerogan

I ran version 3.1.0.0 of PatchMyPc.
It says it will check portable app if they are in directory C:\Users\<username>\Desktop\PortableApps (can be changed).
I put there adwcleaner.exe  and "adwcleaner 7.0.1.0.exe, but neither is shown in tab "update status"
Thank you

Omar (Patch My PC)

You have to download it from Patch My PC first then it will start detecting it with each update :)

lezerogan

To Omar, I am new at this. Is there any help to read how to download portable app?

Omar (Patch My PC)

Just select any app you want and then click (Perform Update)

lezerogan

To Omar: thank you very much for your answer. it works OK

Omar (Patch My PC)

lezerogan

About portable app. I marked some and downloaded them. Since then they are monitored.
Later on I regret one of those app and wanted to stop using it and stop monitoring it.

I did not find a way to do it. Removing physically the app itself does not help,
Neither mark the app in (tab options: disable app updates for:).

For the moment I did it by removing registry entry:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PatchMyPCPortableApps\app...