• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

ImageGlass 9.0.7.1125 Not Installing on Clients with 8.10.9.27

Started by CODRyan, November 28, 2023, 12:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CODRyan

Machines with v8.10.9.27 are seen as "Already Compliant" and do not install the update to 9.0.7.1125. 

Spencer (Patch My PC)

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out to support! Are you deploying this update via ConfigMgr/WSUS or Intune?

Thanks,

Spencer Cruz

CODRyan

Quote from: Spencer (Patch My PC) on November 28, 2023, 02:03:12 PMHello!

Thank you for reaching out to support! Are you deploying this update via ConfigMgr/WSUS or Intune?

Thanks,

Spencer Cruz

We are deploying via ConfigMgr/WSUS.  For context, we are a new user in a trial period so this would be an initial deployment of updates to our machines.   I've done some more digging since I created this post and it seems that, as far as I can tell so far, all other applications are updating as expected except for ImageGlass.  On the machines that have run the install package from Patch My PC, the old version of ImageGlass (8.10.9.27) is still installed on the machine however there is an entry being created in the registry under HKLM\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{7F2A05C2-0D37-47F0-AA9D-C49FCED53B33} with all of the associated values as if 9.0.7.1125 is installed.  Despite those keys being present in the registry, there is only one instance of ImageGlass listed in Installed Appplications (8.10.9.27).

Let me know if there's any other information that could be helpful! 

Spencer (Patch My PC)

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the extra info! I was able to replicate this in my lab and found that the vendor has changed the installer to only install under the user context (Per-User). This was a change from a SYSTEM wide (all users) installer.

This causes multiple entries listed in the registry since the User-based installer isn't able to replace the SYSTEM wide installer.

I've informed our application team and they're going to post on this GitHub thread for traction:
https://github.com/d2phap/ImageGlass/issues/1708

We may need to change this to be a User-based application. This means that WSUS will not be a supported method of deployment since it doesn't support user based installations. You will however, be able to publish the application package and deploy that to update that application.

We'll keep you posted once we've made the changes! 😊 

CODRyan

If I download the msi from ImageGlass and use our pre-existing bat file to install the software it installs as a system-wide install... However, it appears that on first launch it notifies the user that .NET Framework 8.0 is required if it's not already installed.  What fun!

Spencer (Patch My PC)

Hey Ryan,

It's totally possible to install as SYSTEM! Unfortunately, though when installing as SYSTEM, ImageGlass will install but, there are no shortcuts or start menu programs created for users. You'll need to go into the program files folder to launch the program.

The vendor has the MSI set to install per-user and not per-machine. We have reached out to them to see why this change was made as it makes it difficult to mass deploy and manage when installing per user.

CODRyan

This is interesting - in my further testing, if I run our installer on a machine that does NOT have ImageGlass already installed the installer seems very insistent on installing on a per-user basis like you are observing.

However if the machine has an existing version installed, in our case v8.10.9.27, the installer will update to v9.0.7.1125 as a system wide install with the shortcuts being created in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

It also appears the program's handling of default user settings has changed for the worst as well.  You used to be able to be able to modify and deploy the igconfig.default.xml and igstartup.profile files in the Program Files directory to deploy default settings but now it's creating a file called "igconfig.json" in the user's LocalAppData upon first launch and as far as I can tell it's built on-the-fly as opposed to being copied. 

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but just sharing in case it is!

Spencer (Patch My PC)

Thank you, sir! This is helpful in understanding how the new installer functions! I'll pass this along to our app team and see if there is anything we can do to work around this issue!

Spencer (Patch My PC)

Hey Ryan,

I wanted to post an update as the dev responded to one of the Github posts:

Looks like the dev responded to this thread and posted an unofficial build offering an option to install for everyone (All Users). I confirmed that the ALLUSERS=1 flag is now supported and will install properly with shortcuts when installed as SYSTEM using that flag.

Link to the Github Post:
https://github.com/d2phap/ImageGlass/issues/1708

Link to new MSI: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m7YBMEyIjVLajxUvJdy6t_6SQAcfhLgl/view?usp=sharing
Note: this will not work in the PMPC publisher until the vendor has officially released this build.

I also confirmed that the update from 8.10 to the new MSI 9.0.7.1130 (Installed via SYSTEM using ALLUSERS=1 for both installs) installed successfully!

Please be on the lookout for the next release of ImageGlass as that should resolve the issues we're seeing with the current 9.0 build!

CODRyan

Thanks for this update and for the awesome support so far!

Spencer (Patch My PC)

Hey Ryan,

I wanted to update you on this issue! It looks like the devs have released a new version that supports machine wide installs.

https://github.com/d2phap/ImageGlass/releases/tag/9.0.8.1208

Our catalog team has been made aware of this new version and will get it added to the catalog today! Once you've had a chance to test this, please let me now if you have further issues! 😊

CODRyan

Thanks again for tracking this!  Hopefully it'll be smoother sailing moving forward with them.

Spencer (Patch My PC)

Hey Ryan! My pleasure, sir! The new catalog has just been released. Please run a publisher service sync and let me know if you have any issues! 😊