• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Click to Update, then nothing happens

Started by ftaylor, July 02, 2018, 10:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GUSD

I am sorry for late reply. I am open to a Zoom Meeting for screen sharing.  I am open tomorrow Thursday Dec 13 from 12:00 to 2:00 pm Central US Time or Monday Dec 17 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Central US Time.  Email me directly to confirm please. Thanks.

GUSD

I was able to find the root cause of the problem.  PatchMyPC saves the CACHE Download Path in the registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Patch My PC\Options" Value = "DownloadPath" Type = REG_SZ when it is run for the first time. The program fails to check if the patch is valid upon startup;thus if the exe is moved to a different drive, PatchMyPC hangs after scanning is complete. No errors are displayed on screen or the log.

This happens if you start PatchMyPC.exe from a flash drive or other removable media and later copy the EXE or download the EXE to a different drive, such as another flash drive with a different drive letter or on your C: drive after using it on removable media, etc.

RECOMMENDED LONG TERM FIX:
PatchMyPC.exe should check to make sure the Cache Path (DownloadPath) is valid on startup and either prompt the user to update the path or reset it to the current drive, etc.

IMMEDIATE FIX
Option 1: (Recommended)
Change the Cache: Path by going to Options > Download Options > Cache: and selecting a valid path/location. 

Option 2:
Edit the registry value "DownloadPath" at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Patch My PC\Options" with a valid path/location.

IMPORTANT: The first option is preferred as it avoids manually updating the registry.