• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Error Code 193 When Adding Patch My PC Update Catalog to Microsoft SCCM

Started by Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC), November 18, 2018, 03:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

This article is also available at https://patchmypc.com/error-code-193-subscribing-to-microsoft-sccm-third-party-update-catalog with improved formatting.

In this post, we will cover an issue you might encounter when trying to subscribe to our third-party software update catalog in Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager.

When attempting to subscribe to the custom catalog added for your subscription to Patch My PC, configuration manager will show the following error message ÔÇ£Unable to create the subscription. The console failed to download catalog from (URL) because of error code 193.ÔÇØ

WhyÔÇÖs this happen?

This will happens when you are only subscribed to the ÔÇ£SCUP Catalog OnlyÔÇØ subscription. This subscription is only compatible with Microsoft System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) and not the third-party software update catalogs feature in SCCM 1806 and newer.

Compare Editions: https://patchmypc.com/third-party-patch-management-for-sccm-and-intune#custom-pricing-overlay

WhyÔÇÖs the Catalog Cost More for SCCM?

One of our primary goals is to ensure we provide an affordable solution for third-party patch management in SCCM, so itÔÇÖs important to address why the subscription cost extra to support Microsoft SCCM.

The reason is related to a new catalog format required for SCCM to support importing and publishing the catalog. The new catalog format is more complex form an engineering perspective. This new format causes overhead for every catalog release.

Additional Certificate Requirements

If we take a look into the new catalog format, you will notice there is a new folder called ÔÇ£ContentCertificatesÔÇØ

Whenever we release a new catalog update, we need to ensure we include every certificate that is used to sign all update binary files within our supported products for our catalog. The added content certificates allow SCCM to have a layer of trust when publishing all third-party update content. There are currently around 119 certificates we need to manage and maintain when new certificates are used to code-sign update files.

Unique Catalog for Every Supported Product

Since SCCM doesnÔÇÖt support any filtering when publishing updates from a catalog, we wanted to ensure we came up with a solution that allows our customers to publish specific products while using our catalog with SCCM. We came up an optional parameter you can use for only importing specific products into SCCM.

The solution for importing the catalog by product requires us to manage a separate catalog for each product on our backend. Whenever new products are updated, we need to maintain the main catalog in addition to a catalog for each product and the content certificates required for each products catalog. We currently support over 150 unique products.

Wrapping Up?

Hopefully, this has been helpful, and you understand why we decided to require the ÔÇ£Catalog + AutomationÔÇØ subscription to use our catalog with Microsoft SCCM. The ÔÇ£Catalog + AutomationÔÇØ subscription will also allow you to alternatively use our publishing service that allows more customization such as killing application processes, skipping the update if the application is running, adding custom pre/post scripts, and we are working on more awesome features!