• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

CM Console not updated automatically on system that has PmP Publishing Service

Started by merlinfrombelgium, May 28, 2020, 06:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlinfrombelgium

The PmP Publishing Service is installed on the only WSUS server in this environment. The same server is also the ConfigMgr (CM) Primary Site Server.

The CM Admin Console is normally operated remotely from this server. Which is why I didn't notice until today I that the CM Console wouldn't connect to the SMS Provider.

The Admin Console version on this server appears to be behind at version 1910. The Site is at 2002.

Upon running ConsoleSetup.exe from the CM tools folder, it tells me the PmP service is in the way of completing the update.

Could it be that the service prevents an auto-update of the console and eventually causes the 'cannot connect' error?
in any case, I wanted to make you aware of this. You might want to document this as expected behaviour if the WSUS server has the CM Console installed on it.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

During a silent installation, I believe our service would be auto-closed and reopen to close our handle on the DLL's.

Quote from: merlinfrombelgium on May 28, 2020, 06:19:47 AM
The PmP Publishing Service is installed on the only WSUS server in this environment. The same server is also the ConfigMgr (CM) Primary Site Server.

The CM Admin Console is normally operated remotely from this server. Which is why I didn't notice until today I that the CM Console wouldn't connect to the SMS Provider.

The Admin Console version on this server appears to be behind at version 1910. The Site is at 2002.

Upon running ConsoleSetup.exe from the CM tools folder, it tells me the PmP service is in the way of completing the update.

Could it be that the service prevents an auto-update of the console and eventually causes the 'cannot connect' error?
in any case, I wanted to make you aware of this. You might want to document this as expected behaviour if the WSUS server has the CM Console installed on it.

merlinfrombelgium

Quote from: Justin Chalfant on May 28, 2020, 08:00:40 AM
During a silent installation, I believe our service would be auto-closed and reopen to close our handle on the DLL's.

Sounds reasonable and logical. Hard to say whether it is in fact trying to auto-install the new version.
All I know is the in-console notification about an available update. But since the console is usually never opened on this system, I'm not sure if it would auto-update. Couldn't find a reference to that in the product docs.