• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

No Categories

Started by Jason, October 26, 2022, 05:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittlBUGer

Quote from: theJazzman42 on November 29, 2022, 02:59:02 AMI do the major work now with UCheck free. Recommended me three updates PatchMyPC didn't and has categories. And allows you to install new software you don't already have on your system.

Though they do have a free and portable version of this to update already installed software, the ability to install new software is only available through their paid version. So, for me, it becomes nearly useless. Not that the Premium or Technician editions are expensive, but still, not the same.

Omar (Patch My PC)

Quote from: LittlBUGer on December 01, 2022, 09:10:47 AM
Quote from: theJazzman42 on November 29, 2022, 02:59:02 AMI do the major work now with UCheck free. Recommended me three updates PatchMyPC didn't and has categories. And allows you to install new software you don't already have on your system.

Though they do have a free and portable version of this to update already installed software, the ability to install new software is only available through their paid version. So, for me, it becomes nearly useless. Not that the Premium or Technician editions are expensive, but still, not the same.

You can select and install from the home updater any software that isn't installed already...

LittlBUGer

Quote from: Omar (Patch My PC) on December 01, 2022, 01:04:23 PM
Quote from: LittlBUGer on December 01, 2022, 09:10:47 AM

You can select and install from the home updater any software that isn't installed already...

The whole point of this thread is that PatchMyPC (the Home version) no longer has any categories, which is very confusing and off-putting. There is actually another thread with multiple people saying the same thing, on top of everyone in this thread (https://patchmypc.com/forum/index.php?topic=6224.0). The purpose of our recent replies with UCheck is that it was an alternative that DOES have categories. I just pointed out that UCheck Free does NOT allow you to install new software, only update currently installed software. We know that PatchMyPC DOES allow you to install new software, but that's not the point.

robwolfe

The thought occurs to that the latest version has numerous problems. Can the previous version be renumbered and replace the current version until the problems are fixed?
Robert

Kurotaku

Just saw there is an update from 30.12 and thought "hopefully the categories are comming back" ...

Still not >:( this software is getting worse and worse, paint.net is already up to date and the app still don't recognize it and anydesk is getting still shown in the list even when the scanning for it is already disabled, since the 7.1.x version is a complete downgrade since aliases can be only used with a license.

Sad that there are no good alternatives

linkhunter

I'm using winget in powershell temporary until categories come back

osmanelitok

Quote from: robwolfe on December 15, 2022, 07:14:32 PMThe thought occurs to that the latest version has numerous problems. Can the previous version be renumbered and replace the current version until the problems are fixed?
Robert

It is fixed when I change the date format to English. maybe an update is needed on this. thanks

[email protected]

I am of the same opinion.  I miss not having the apps sorted by category.  Please bring this feature bac, and if possible make it optional so that both camps can be satisfied.

jpldavidson

Well this has been going on for some time now.  I'm guessing that the free software didn't bring in enough sales for their professional product.  Its a shame, as it was really well executed and thought out, but that's the way of things

snakepaws

Categories made for easy installing of apps on a fresh install of Windows, going section by section and installing what's needed. It also made it "fun" to explore what apps were in each category to check out. I don't really understand the decision to remove the different categories. It just makes a giant mess of a list with no real indication of what each item is since there's no descriptions either. So you just kind of have to "know what you're looking for" - and it makes it easy to miss things since, you know, there's no categories to quickly skim through easily. Sigh.

Jason

Fully agree.
No clue why they changed it... Let's hope (have been) that the Categoties will come back. Hoping...

jpldavidson

Well, I see that despite all the posts, this inconvenience is being ignored altogether.

May I make a suggestion to all you people looking for something similar.  IOBIT Software Updater has similar functions, including a Recommended section with categories.

No, I don't work for them or any other software or even computer related business, I'm just a bus driver.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hi All,

We did collapse things into a single category. We appreciate the feedback and will review feedback for future improvements.

Memphis

I always recommended PatchMyPC to people with low-level PC knowledge to keep their apps up2date and to install new software