• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

[Enhancement Request] Filter list of software

Started by freda, March 12, 2018, 06:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freda

I would like a method of only seeing the software that is actually installed on my computer rather than having to wade through the complete list of software that PMPC supports.  A toggle would be perfect.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

We were looking into this for V4.0, but hit some pretty significant performance issues while hiding non installed apps. This is something we still have in the list of things we would like to add.

Cavehomme

Quote from: Justin on March 14, 2018, 11:17:04 PM
We were looking into this for V4.0, but hit some pretty significant performance issues while hiding non installed apps. This is something we still have in the list of things we would like to add.

I'm just coming from PSI but have also used several others such as Kaspersky and Avira software updaters which have a better GUI. My first impressions are that you are overwhelming and confusing people with a list of very long list of apps on the left most of which they don't really have but will assume they do have  - even as an experienced IT person I initially thought this list is showing me application son my drive and it took my brain a while to understand what I was seeing, then I realised that the actual status list is on the right. A less informed user will be more confused, I respectfully suggest.

Perhaps under visual options you could add a toggle switch for different views, or simply add a new addtional button on the left, above Apps, that says "Status" and which is the default view? If you took my ssecond option, then a user can click on apps if they want to edit or explore further?. That way you are not making a significant design change and not hitting performance issues as you point out? Anyway, just a suggestion, hope you can find a solution soon.

By the way, would be helpful to be able to adjust font / icon sizes under visual options too, currently way too big for me.

Thanks.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

This is something that we are definitely looking to improve on in a future update! We were close to having a "Show Only Installed Apps" option in the V4 release but hit some performance issues.

Quote from: Cavehomme on March 22, 2018, 05:06:02 AM
Quote from: Justin on March 14, 2018, 11:17:04 PM

I'm just coming from PSI but have also used several others such as Kaspersky and Avira software updaters which have a better GUI. My first impressions are that you are overwhelming and confusing people with a list of very long list of apps on the left most of which they don't really have but will assume they do have  - even as an experienced IT person I initially thought this list is showing me application son my drive and it took my brain a while to understand what I was seeing, then I realised that the actual status list is on the right. A less informed user will be more confused, I respectfully suggest.

Perhaps under visual options you could add a toggle switch for different views, or simply add a new addtional button on the left, above Apps, that says "Status" and which is the default view? If you took my ssecond option, then a user can click on apps if they want to edit or explore further?. That way you are not making a significant design change and not hitting performance issues as you point out? Anyway, just a suggestion, hope you can find a solution soon.

By the way, would be helpful to be able to adjust font / icon sizes under visual options too, currently way too big for me.

Thanks.