• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

VMWare Tools Needs Two Reboots

Started by rbuxcey, October 15, 2019, 08:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbuxcey

Good afternoon PatchMyPC Support

We are encountering issues with VMWare Tools not upgrading successfully, even though initially it looks as though it has installed. Specifically, we are looking at version 11.0.0.15108

Looking at logs from a particular machine, we can see Event logs that indicate that VMWare Tools is being installed (see VMWare 1 image). It then indicates that it has successfully installed the update (see VMWare 2). The machine then rebooted to complete updates 20 minutes later. Some hours later, we then get an event from WindowsUpdateFailure stating 'Updates have failed on this server' (see VMWare 3). The PatchMyPC-SoftwareDetectionScript.log file shows that all day today it hasn't been able to detect the so-called installed version (VMWare 4) and Control Panel still indicates that version 10.3 is installed.

From investigating further, the vminst.log file (see VMWare 5) located under C:\Windows\Temp indicates the following: 
DisplayMessageBox: "VMware Product Installation" - "This installer requires you to restart your system to finish installing Microsoft VC Redistributable and then re-run the installer.

I can supply the whole log file if needs be, but it suggests that this update needs two reboots, one for redistributables and then one for the tool themselves.

Please can you advise whether this behaviour can be changed, as it is somewhat confusing when reporting on installation successed and failures.

Russell

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Can you let me know the version of the PatchMyPC-ScriptRunner.exe in the app source files for VMWare Tools?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hey Russel,

Could you please open a support case via email: https://patchmypc.com/technical-support

I think we will probably need to set up a remote session for this one.