• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Recent posts

Per-user MSIs are problematic for us at this point in time. Our custom apps functionality will look for the Uninstall key under HKCU for a per-user app (which is where setup.exes will write to), however per-user MSIs still register themselves under the HKLM Uninstall key (along with a per-user entry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products).

However, our detection rules are Powershell scripts built by rules that will look for the display name under the HKLM Uninstall key for per-system apps and the HKCU Uninstall key for per-user apps.

This is something we are looking to improve upon, although unfortunately I can't give you a timeline right now.

My recommendation would be to try and resolve the issues that make it fail when running it as a per-system installation. There are a few ways to solve the issues you mentioned:

- Intune cache: If you copy the MSI to a location such as C:\ProgramData\PackageCache\{GUID} before installing it, it will be cached. Don't forget to remove the folder upon uninstall. PSAppDeployToolkit has native functions for this - Copy-ContentToCache and Remove-ContentFromCache.

- You can also avoid the whole MSI self-heal scenario by pre-supplying what it is looking for. It is usually a HKCU registry marker, but the repair could be being utilised to supply user files also. Again PSAppDeployToolkit has native functions (Copy-FileToUserProfiles and Invoke-HKCURegistrySettingsForAllUsers) to make this easy.

Using PSADT within Custom Apps is currently not a great experience however due to the fact a workaround is needed to add folder content:

https://docs.patchmypc.com/installation-guides/patch-my-pc-cloud/custom-apps/helpful-hints#workaround-for-applications-that-require-folders-to-be-uploaded

There is another simple solution however, and that is to use Master Packager to create an MST file that uses their predefined custom actions to provide the user files and registry:

https://www.masterpackager.com/support/predefined-custom-actions

What is the app in question? If it's not already listed, add an entry under https://ideas.patchmypc.com!
I finally figured this one out and it's embarrassingly simple. You can actually do everything you need via commands run inside the dcu-cli.exe file. Here are the commands I have run to set everything we need and then to lock down the settings for end users:

"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -scheduleDaily=15:30
"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -scheduleAuto -scheduleAction=DownloadInstallAndNotify
"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -installationDeferral=enable -deferralInstallInterval=4 -deferralInstallCount=5 -systemRestartDeferral=enable -deferralRestartInterval=4 -deferralRestartCount=5
"C:\Program Files\Dell\CommandUpdate\dcu-cli.exe" /configure -locksettings=enable
Oops nevermind, found out what is was :)
Can you share the solution? I have similar errors, running "Intune only" config.

An error occurred while getting the list of supported products [Status code: 404]: Not Found
Response:
 [PatchMyPC_Core.Cloud.Api.AppCat.ApiException] HResult: -2146233088

An error occurred while getting the list of vendors:
---> Failed to get the list of custom supported products [Status code: NotFound] [System.Exception] HResult: -2146233088

An empty XML payload was retrieved from the cloud. If there are no applications published then this is expected.
Hi, I also struggle with that XN View MP install. For now I just scroll down and deselect XN View and manually select XN View MP again. That helps a bit for now.
Quote from: Aleksander on April 21, 2022, 04:44:59 AMIm deploying via Intune.
 I own a small number of Dell computers, but I'm not sure if the default configuration of PatchMyPC causes the computers to automatically install all drivers/firmwares using this program, Dell Command Update - without user interaction.

I just posted in another thread about configuring Dell Command Update to forcefully install updates, etc.
This might help some people looking here for answers:
https://patchmypc.com/forum/index.php?topic=5414
Hi there!
We had Intune installing Dell Command Update with automatic settings in place to enforce driver installation after a certain amount of allowed deferrals, etc.
We took these instructions from the below video:

Here's a summary. First install the software manually, configure it as you want and export an XML of the intended config. Now you can start building the installer package. Then the installer package does the following:

• Install the software silently
  • Add a registry key to prevent the setup popup screen
  • Add a registry key to indicate the configuration was successful
  • Run a command on the installed software to import the xml configuration settings you created earlier
  • Run a command on the installed software to lock all the settings for non local admin users

Now if I can just figure out a way to successfully have this work again within Patch My PC. Any ideas?
Hello
v11 doesn't seem to be superseding v10 automatically. Is this intended?
Hi,

We have used the PMPC portal to create custom apps successfully.
With two applications, which are kind of special I would say, we see an issue with the detection script.

The applications are simple MSI applications.
However, it has to be installed as user (/qn ALLUSERS=2 MSIINSTALLPERUSER=1).

But, after installation, these two particular applications create their entries in the HKLM hive:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

The detection script fails to detect these application as it only looks in HKCU.

My workaround currently is to change script manually. Outside of PatchMyPC.

Line 16: [string[]]$HivesToSearch = 'HKCU'
Change to: [string[]]$HivesToSearch = 'HKLM'

This fixes the detection.

Three questions here:
1. If we make a request for you guys to add these applications to your catalog (they are publicly available), will you take this into account?
The application can be installed as user and as system, but our requirement is to install it as user.

2. Is there a better way to tackle this rather than having to make changes to the detection script?

3. Would it not be feasible that you add some additional options in the PMC portal that give us some more options. One of which is in what registry hive to search in? (I know, it's a feature request).

-----------

To elaborate on the first question...
If the application is installed as SYSTEM, on first run, the application runs a repair cycle to create the HKCU application configuration keys.
But, with Intune, after installation, the IMECache folder is cleared and the original install file is gone.
The repair then fails and prompts for the original install file.

Thank you
Again this happened, but this time with IrfanView